Thursday, September 01, 2005

Mercy??

Do you think Jesus was hurt when his disciples left him? Do you think he thought they might change their minds and stand with him as he faced the angry mob? Of course we know that his plan included them staying alive but on a personal level, don’t you think he wanted to be able to protect them or run them off instead of just watching them disappear?

When is the last time someone let you down? Notice I didn’t ask has anyone ever let you down, I am sure that they have. I sometimes wonder if people know the power they have to upset and hurt you. I wonder if I realize how much power I have to do this to others. Fortunately for every bad experience there are countless treasures of time spent with true friends who have demonstrated their love for me over and over.

But, again I have to think of Jesus. How proud he must have been when Peter’s faith let him step out of the boat and walk on water. And as hurt as he was by Peter’s denial he was willing to forgive and allowed Peter the opportunity to “feed his sheep.” How many chances do I want to give someone to “betray” me? Can I offer mercy when I have been offended? I think this is one of the many areas where I fail to think “what would Jesus do”.

Comments:
Donna, thanks for the comments--and you were exactly right about changing the blog template--found out how to do it and couldn't wait.

Amazingly, your blog entry could not be more on target for me right now. The reason I was at the office this morning instead of at home doing things I needed to became the beginning of a day of disappointment in a friend/co-worker who didn't follow through on things he's told other people he would do before leaving the country for two weeks. Tonight I found out that he's also lied to four of my graduate students and me, making it so God could work through the situation and give the students real opportunities for the internship experience they wanted.

But I just shake my head--I know that my own procrastination has not helped other situations and wonder if other people have forgiven me when I've apologized or made excuses. Is that better, at least, than not acknowledging at all that you have mistreated people because of your actions? My friend is very talented, but his treatment of people leaves a lot to be desired.

Sounds like you and I are soulmates. I'll be glad to meet you at Zoe!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?