Friday, September 09, 2005

Missing Scotty

It was Roll Tide that got me. Somehow I had convinced myself that it was just another day and I got up and went to spin class. Of course this is a football weekend and this is the south, so it is on everyone’s mind. Steve (our instructor) asked if there were any Auburn fans and we had a weak (sorry Terri) War Eagle go up. Then he asked enthusiastically how about Alabama fans, to which there was a roaring Roll Tide!

You see, Scotty had never been to a college football game. He and Derek had tickets to go to the Alabama game this Saturday. From there it went down hill. I couldn’t sing or clap. I rode for about 30 minutes and then I had to get out of there.

The current speculation is that he was killed by someone who knew him. The prime suspect is a brother to one of his ex-girlfriends. Scotty had helped him in the past by bailing him out of jail. I don’t know details or facts for that matter, but it does not surprise me that Scotty was helping someone who was down and out. What I cannot understand is how someone could beat him up and then shoot him in the head.

I want to tell you a little about Scotty. He was such a hard worker. He had just taken another job this past week. He had bought a couple of houses and was looking to buy another one. Did I mention he was only 25? He didn’t get anything the easy way. He worked hard and had risen above some of the hardships he had growing up. Derek met him when he needed a friend that believed in hard work. He was also a saver (Derek needed that too!) He put 20% of his pay into his 401-K and had started several IRA's.

For the last two and half years he has been like family. He was there when Matthew was born and has been a big part of his life. This year he came to our house on the 4th of July. He had never been in a boat. Derek and Mary took him out to enjoy the lake for a while.

Scotty was planning to be married later this year. He had gone to Cambodia in June where he made the plans with his future bride. He loved being in that country because he could give so much to her family. He told of taking the whole family out for lobster dinner and it only costing $20. He brought a video to our house to show us all that he had experienced while there.

I don’t understand a world in which God’s children kill each other. I can’t fathom having that much anger or meanness in my heart. I weep thinking of the goodness and the potential that was snuffed out.

Lord, I just want to go home…come quickly.

Comments:
Donna, I can feel your grief. You need to encourage Derek to find an outlet for his pain. I lost two close friends within two years and just dealt with it on my own. It would have been much better if I had someone to councel me.

I am reminded of this Shawn Groves song, "After the Music Fades"

Lord, take me
From this place
Into a world that has no time.
No hurries, no worries,
Gladly I leave them all behind
Down here; I'm letting go and drawing near.

I wanna sing.
I wanna fly.
I wanna see from Your side of the sky.
I wanna love.
I wanna stay,
Wanna be close to You
Long after the music fades.

Lord, I come
To give You
Much more than just a melody.
Please take me and break me;
Right now God, I don't want to leave
Unchanged; I never wanna be the same.

I wanna sing.
I wanna fly.
I wanna see from Your side of the sky.
I wanna love.
I wanna stay,
Wanna be close to You
Long after,

'Cause Lord You are
Mighty, Awesome, Righteous,
Gracious, Knowing,
In me overflowing.
Father, Teacher, Master, Leader
Jealous, Loving, You are.

And you make me wanna sing.
I wanna fly.
I wanna see from Your side of the sky.
I wanna love.
I wanna stay,
Wanna be close to You
Long after,
And I wanna sing.
I wanna fly.
I wanna see from Your side of the sky.
And I wanna love.
I wanna stay,
Wanna be close to You
Long after,
Wanna be close to you
Forever after,
Wanna be close to you,
Long after the music fades,
Long after the music fades.

You are life.
You are love.
You are everything I'm in need of.
You are life.
You are love.
You are everything I'm in need of.
You are life.
(I wanna be.)
You are love.
(I wanna be.)
You are everything I'm in need of.
(I wanna be closer.)
You are life.
(I wanna be.)
You are love.
(I wanna be.)
You are everything I'm in need of.
(I wanna be closer.)
You are life.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are love.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are everything I'm in need of.
(You are.)
(I wanna be closer.)
You are life.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are love.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are everything I'm in need of.
(You are.)
(I wanna be closer.)
You are life.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are love.
(You are.)
(I wanna be.)
You are everything I'm in need of.
(You are.)
(I wanna be closer.)
 
Oh Donna! I'm so sorry! I can't imagine the pain and grief you and your family are feeling right now! If there's anything me and mine can do, please let me know!

Blugs!
 
My heart breaks for all those that love Scotty--I don't understand why people kill people either--makes no sense to me.

JB
 
Donna-
You must read The Last Coach. It is a great read. I can't put it down!! I am hoping to finish it this weekend. It makes me so proud to be an Alabama fan.

Roll Tide!
 
And then you will go see that baby growing in your daughters tummy on a grey fuzzy screen and the world will seem a little better. I am so sorry for your pain and the loss of Scotty! Thank you for sharing him with us!
 
I'm so sorry you're hurting. We had a young girl (16) from our old congregation in Omaha murdered less than a month after we moved away. We are still waiting for them to arrest someone. I hope Scotty's killer is found soon.
 
There sure is a lot of pain in the world right now. It is so sad to read about yours. How tragic! May you and your family find peace in the midst of the storm.
 
So sorry! Praying for you...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?