Monday, September 26, 2005

Taking Control

There is this can of hair spray in the restroom at our office. I am not sure who it belongs to but the name of it gets me….Got 2B in Control. Well there are more ways that I could relate this to my life than time, space, or reader interest would contain, but this morning this little brain of mine went off in a new direction.

I want to control my giving. Well Donna, everyone does control their giving, it is up to them who and how much they give. But that is not exactly what I mean, I guess I should say I want to control who receives what I give. Now stay with me here. I think part of the reason that God commanded us to give is for the blessing that it gives us. Now I know that many people say you can’t out-give God and the more you give the more you prosper. That is not what I mean. I think the blessing comes when we take the time to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, when we try to imagine ourselves in the same need and we reach out in love to offer what we have. It may just be a cup of cold water, but the blessing comes in the touching of lives. It is next to impossible to feel that blessing when we write a check not knowing where the proceeds of the check will go. That is one reason I opted not to give through the Red Cross for the hurricane relief, but instead tried to give where the effect of the gift would be felt by someone or some group that I had a tie to. Does this make sense to you? I know that there are times when a coordinated group effort is more effective. It was the only way I knew to help during the Tsunami. But I think we cheat ourselves when we only give in this manner.

I am excited about the new Sunday morning group some of our ladies have formed. My sweet friend Sharon has headed up a class that is built around service. We look for ways to help, to serve, basically to put our Christianity in action. Terri made the excellent point yesterday that people do want to serve, they just need an opportunity. For years I have lamented the lack of such opportunities. How much more effective to DO SOMETHING about it!

So in addition to this class I am rethinking my giving, of time and resources. I know I have an obligation to the church that I am a part of, but I also know that my first obligation is to God. He has commanded me to give, but I also have found great pleasure in giving. I need this blessing in my life. So what would happen if we all chose to give in this way? What do you think?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?