Saturday, September 10, 2005

Therapy

Sometimes writing is like therapy for me. I don’t know why but just taking the thoughts out of my head and seeing what comes out on paper (or on a monitor in most cases) calms me.

The place where my son and his friend work hired counselors to come in and talk to people on Thursday. They insisted Derek talk to him. I think it has helped, and although he hasn’t told me much of what was said I know that he was told to go about his normal activities. So yesterday he mowed the yard (it is his weekend off). That all went well until he thought he saw Scotty’s truck drive up. Then I went to play tennis with him. I don’t know what happened on the way, but I lost him for a few minutes. As we were leaving we drove by the place where Scotty picked up his newspapers for his paper route. Derek had gone with him several times. Suddenly he was shouting through his tears at me to just get out of here! I didn’t know until later what had happened.

Last night he wanted to go to the football game. I sensed that he wanted me to go with them. Knowing that Matthew would not sit still I knew that if I went me or Mary would be there with Derek constantly. That wasn’t so bad. He got to see some other friends and some folks who knew Scotty and he could talk to them.

He is doing OK. We are going to hit some tennis balls this morning. I like that he is getting so interested in tennis. I know it is a great stress reliever for me. I don’t expect a great quality of play, but I will help divert his mind and give him an outlet for some pent up frustrations.

These are the times when I miss having a regular minister. I know that I would have already talked with Randy myself and I know that he would have been a great help to Derek. Derek has good friends in his devotional group and I know they will be there for each other, but I wish we had someone in place at our church. Funny, sometimes I think we don’t really need a full time person we can just get by with a gifted and caring speaker who works for us on “church” days. I know that we should not have to “pay” people to minister to the hurting among us, but there are some things that it is better to have a trained person handle.

Thank you all for you kind words of support and comfort. Thank you especially for your prayers in our behalf. I cannot express to you how much it means to me. I am so comforted by having a family some of whom I will never meet, that prays for me and mine. Won’t it be great when we are all together and death will be conquered forever!

Comments:
I just now have had the opportunity to sit down and read the past weeks' happenings. I can't even begin to imagine what your family and community are going through. I'm so sorry for the loss of Scotty, and yet so excited for your daughter's pregnancy. Bittersweet tastes of life, huh? I hope that things begin to even out. Journaling is a great source of personal therapy... as is keeping in shape and venting frustrations. I hope that Derek is able to mourn the loss of his dear friend and then remember the fond memories. Blessings, congratulations, and many prayers.
 
Kepp on keeping on! Derek is lucky to have you, your husband , Mary and Matthew to hold on to during this great loss! Keeping you and yours in my prayers!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?