Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What do you want to do when you grow up?

Do you know what you want to be when you grow up? I don’t think I ever decided. I knew I wanted to be a wife and mother, but I had “grand illusions” about that. I thought that would be it; that would be all I needed to fulfill me. In another instance where my husband knows me better than I know myself, when I asked about going back to work when Derek was 9 months old he said, “I knew you would”. Really? How did he know? But he was right, maybe if blogging had been around back then…???

I think the reason books like The Purpose Driven Life are so popular is because we haven’t decided what we want to “be”. We think “great, in 40 days I will KNOW”. I have gone through the book three times now… I was motivated, I was inspired, but I still don’t know. I think these are life long decisions. Most of the people you know who are Doctors decided when they were small children that they wanted to be Doctors. (If not they would never go to school that long….) Some people stumble into teaching, but it is usually a childhood dream as well. As a young girl I played house a lot. I wanted to be married, to have children, to travel with my husband Davy Jones and the Monkeys……

Well if this is all true we need to be very careful how we shape the dreams and aspirations of the children we have influence over. You will all be happy to know that Matthew has decided on his career. He is pretty sure about his hobby as well. Now if Mi Mi could just figure out what she wanted to do…………..

Comments:
well other than the monkeys thing it sounds like your living from your heart! thats great!

And your not to old to play the piano or ride an off carpet vehicle.
 
In the middle of my career safari now - and just 14 working days from the last day in my current job - I sorta wish I knew what I was going to be when I grow up, too.

My best guess is that I'll go right on being me, and hopefully a better me, in whatever job God puts me.

I think piano-playing is out. Maybe tractor-driving ....
 
I'm playing catch up tonight--
Don't know if it is something you have aspired to, but you are an inspiration to me! I really appreciate your words of challenge and encouragement!

JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?