Monday, October 17, 2005

Almost

This morning I brought a white shirt (blouse, whatever..) to wear at work. Well as I got it out of the back of my Tahoe I must have dragged the sleeve somewhere. When I saw it hanging on the back of the door of my office I saw a big black spot! Great! I live 20 minutes away, there is no time to run home and change. OK, I get the dishwashing detergent out, with my work-out towel and water bottle and proceed to scrub the black place away. Well it is almost gone. You can barely see it. Fortunately for me the spot is on the inside of my arm therefore even less noticeable to others.

However, as I sat in the floor reviewing my work the word “almost” started going through my head. (I don’t know why I do this, it just happens!) You remember that old guilt provoking invitation song…”Almost Persuaded”? There was a phrase in one verse that said “Almost cannot prevail, almost is but to fail. Sad, sad that bitter wail, almost but lost”. (I was relieved to see that song was not in our current books.)

Almost is what I am. If it is but to fail, then I am a failure. Just this morning, I almost got this spot out. I realized that being almost “dressed” was not going to work, there were repair guys on the roof outside my window. I almost drove the speed limit. I almost stopped at the stop sign. These stupid little footy things almost don’t show around my shoes!! My bangs are almost lying down. I rode in spin class almost as hard as Cary!

I almost give my problems to God, I hang on just a little. I almost live my life in subjection…I just have this little stubborn streak. I think God wants us to fully trust and believe in him….Grace will then make up the difference when we are almost what he wants us to be.

Comments:
But God giveth more grace, doesn't He?

Our lives are full of "almost"--but in Christ we are complete.
 
Yeah, what george said.
 
I am Mr. 99%. I learned this as the number 99 kept appearing in my life like a bad theme in a badly done movie.

Almost in many ways defines me.

Thaks be to God that he loves almost people like me.
 
I never liked that song either!
 
you know, I have never really thought about that song... boy what an influence what we sing has on us. Even if we don't realize it. To sing it over and over and over in "church" what power it had in shaping my thinking. Old Philip Bliss had some good songs, but what was he thinking. It is well with my soul and this just don't seem to jive. I know I was almost persuaded for a number of years... but maybe that was because I was being asked to persuade to something other than just Jesus.
 
So just for conversation or thinking: Remember the guy in the bible(I'll show my lack of memory, I think Agrippa) that said, "Almost you persuade me to be a christian"? Do you think he went to heaven.

I see that song as saying almost is not enough in some cases, as the one the song suggests. In the song he was almost persuaded to believe, almost persuaded to receive christ, but he didn't.

Just my thoughts.
 
For the record, I started to put the disclaimer about Agrippa in my post. I was not talking about "almost" being persuaded. I was talking from where I currently am...."trying" to walk the walk.

I realize that the song was trying to persuade non-believers and my post was not about the song....it just popped into my head. I just was thinking when left to my own abilities I just can't quite make the mark....I need the Grace of God in everything I attempt to do.

One more aside...I thought about this at the Circus last night..I was talking about the fact that I could say "I almost touched an elephant" not addressing the person who might say, "I don't believe there really were any elephants".
 
Thanks for the memory. I'd almost forgotten that song, but I've been singing Just as I Am of late.

Beautiful thoughts though.
 
Almost nuthin', it is about relationship--not performance! You got it! Be happy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?