Friday, October 14, 2005

Flirtin' With Disaster

One of my favorite songs (of the non-Christian music genre) is Molly Hatchet’s Flirtin’ with Disaster. (Everyone who does not know the song or who Molly Hatchet is please don’t comment to tell me that! But it is on the new Dukes of Hazzard soundtrack so maybe??) I was just wondering this morning if that said something about my personality. I actually think it is just a feel good, drive fast, kind of song, but is there some hidden reason I like it? Makes me wonder.

There is a part of my personality that always likes to push the envelope. I like to get right up on the edge of rules, and maybe occasionally even fracture a couple. I mean really, the rules were made for someone else anyway, right? So, knowing that my personality is geared in this way you have got to wonder how I have made it this long in the C of C. I mean, we are the champions of the “thou shalt not’s” aren’t we? Perhaps that is why my frustrations have been played out in other areas of my life. Perhaps that is why I embrace any type of change with open arms.

When I was growing up, to question or even entertain the possibility that someone else might have some things right was akin to blasphemy. I can remember sitting up at night crying because I couldn’t convince my friends not to be Baptist. I was ashamed because I couldn’t even make a good argument to them. Sometimes I wonder how I had any friends. We really were that bad! Are we still? Perhaps the way we flirt with disaster is not by loosely playing with the rules. Maybe the real disaster is that we have made the rules the object of our worship. We have placed what we think is “right” above the souls of men and women.

While I don’t discount the commands of God, I know that they must be obeyed; I pray that I will always put people first. That I will look at the heart like Jesus did. I pray that I will realize other people are a lot like me, not perfect by any stretch, but trying, seeking, wanting to be pleasing to God.

Comments:
I grew up in town that was about 90% Baptist and I don't think I *converted* a one! But you better believe I tried, and tried and tried!!! I only laugh at myself now!

This is a tricky dilemma. How do we move forward to reach unsaved people with the news of Jesus and not hurt, even shatter, those that believe in doing so we are going astray?

At RH, Preacher Rick is planning on total fellowship with the Christian Church within the next few months--as much as I support him--I don't want to abandon those I love that are still anti-instrumental worship services.

When you get it all figured out, please let me know ;-) (We have the women issue to cover for sure then!)
 
Well Donna you make a pretty good arguement here. Maybe it was not you but bad material.

Great post.
 
This is why I believe we're kindred spirits - I sometimes have an itching to break the rules just for the hell of it.
 
Oh, wow you read my mind. I was raised in the Baptist church and then when I was a teenager ( and no one in my house was going to church) my Grandmother introduced me to the Church of God. Then when I got older I went back to the Baptist church. I don't believe my God is so narrow minded as some people think and I have been to a few C o C where I felt like I had a huge "S" on my forehead and totally ignored me! But EC has been a blessing for me as well as my husband who was raised in the "cold sterile" church. He now believes he is saved when for so many years he never felt like he would ever be "good" enough to please God. Sometimes, I think we miss the message when God told us to "love one another" not just those that are members of a certain church!!
I have often heard that we will be so surprised when we get to heaven to see who made and really surprised to find out who didn't!!

Good blog D....
 
It is for FREEDOM he has set you free. Overrestrictive legalism breeds rebellion...although sometimes only later in life!:)

God wants us to enjoy our time with him and with others. It isn't just about the rules. It is about relationship!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?