Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I'll Take Door #1

In C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity he speaks of a Christian as being in a hall and having to choose which door to enter. I think he is speaking of choosing a set of Christians with whom you wish to identify or associate. But he speaks of an active choice of many doors to choose from. I think this might encompass more than choosing which church to identify and associate with. I think you are choosing a theology to live your life by. Yet, I realize that even at my advanced age I am sometimes still playing in the hall. That worried me as I thought about it last night. Am I carried away with every wind of doctrine? Do I drift along and bite at every tasty morsel that is presented to me?

I don’t think it is so simple. I think that we enter a door, but inside that room are many other doors. Some will even take you back to where you were, undecided in the hall. Others will lead you out of the building all together. Although few take this door we cannot deny that it is there. The other doors lead you to new ideals and new concepts. You are not leaving everything behind but just progressing on to another “step” in your journey. Some people get happy and might I say “lazy” in this first room. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. The problem would come when they try to keep everyone else in that room with them, or determine that if they leave that room, they are no longer in the “house”.

So, I am not drifting, simply checking out all the rooms in the house. I know that God has a room especially for me to find where I can truly make a difference. I have just got to find it.

Comments:
That is a very descriptive way of thinking...makes a lot of sense, too!
 
Oh, I like this. I tend to call one room my "home base" while I peak into other rooms, stay for a while and usually head for home. But hwta gives me comfort amid my many doubts is that the house is big and every room is in the house. That is a comfort for me, but also a comfort for everyone else in the house. I don't have to make them come to my room.
 
LOL--your advanced age--where does that leave me??

I am so encouraged by your desire to make a difference--and your determination to find where that is! Keep your eyes open--I believe God honors the desire of hearts ready to be used!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?