Monday, October 31, 2005

Time Travel

I am not sure if I have forgotten how I used to be or what, but I think C.S. Lewis could have easily been a writer for the CofC (at least in Mere Christianity). Other than tolerance for the occasional drink his beliefs and discussions mirror what I think I have always believed. Maybe I just can’t remember how I used to think, I used to disagree with him on the occasional drink; that belief too has evolved with maturity.

Anyway, I just finished his chapter on Time. He starts with the fact that many people have a problem thinking God can hear millions of prayers at the same moment and be able to act on them. He introduced the ideal that time is a human limitation. God can visit my moment in time which is now, tomorrow or yesterday or next week. Being the time challenged individual that I am, I love this thought. He says that God knows what we are going to do before we do it only because he has already seen it. Not that we don’t have free will; He can just be at any moment without the constraints of “time”.

I have always been infatuated with the concept of time travel. I loved all of the Back to the Future movies and Quantum Leap was one of my favorite TV shows. Wouldn’t it be cool if part of heaven was the ability to travel to places in time we have read about and visit first hand? Wouldn’t it be cool if our lives were stored in a jar, or mirror or something and we could go back and visit things of our past? Or would we want to?

If you could go back and visit (not change) one time in your life what would it be (just to make it interesting you cannot list the birth of your children)? If you could visit a place or event in history again not to change it, what would it be?

Comments:
My answers:

1-I would like to go back and see me and my brothers sharing a tiny bedroom in a 10X50 mobile home when we lived in Michigan. It is hard for me to imagine how that must have been.

2-In history I would like to be with Moses when the Red Sea parted. I would also like to see it close back in on Pharaoh and company. That would be cool!
 
What a cool idea to think about! My favorite growing up years was on the farm in Florida. I loved being the farm girl. And since we are not changing anything, I didn't have to 'work' the farm, so it was fun. But history takes me to Jesus. How awesome it would have been to follow Him! To see His works! And again, since we are not changing anything, I could have just been an observer. I am so afraid if I had lived then that I would have been in the crowd shouting 'Crucify Him'.
 
Yeah, pretty cool.

In my life, I'm not really sure when I would go back. I'd prefer to stay in the present.

Historically, I'd love to have seen Jesus in the flesh, of course. Otherwise, the 60s or maybe Paris during the Belle Epoque.
 
I wouldn't want to go back to my childhood days. (You see I had a horrid sister who delighted in torturing me).
I think I would go back to when I fell in love with my wife. What a feeling. How do you recapture that feeling. Our friendship grows and so does out understanding of one another but that feeling stands alone.
Likewise I think being there when the first light bulb worked or the first telephone call came in. Again an "awe" moment in history. I've done a lot of travelling and seen a lot of the hstorical monuments (US, Europe, middle East) to man but I never get the "awe' feeling.
I only get that feeling in a wilderness area or on top of a mountain that hasn't been populated, polluted or plowed under for progress sake.
BT
 
1. In my life, I would spend time with my dad--he died when I was young and I though I try to remember, I never can remember enough about him to satisfy me.

2. In history, I would definitely see Jesus in the flesh.
 
In my life: I'd have to go with TL. The college days would be nice to see again.

History: Too many things I would love to see. Seeing Jesus do a miracle would have to be in there. Would I believe him or explain it as some allusion?
 
A fellow named Kennedy was fond of quoting, "Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were, and say, 'Why not?'"

I think it'd be cool to see some things that never were ... because no one decided to do them, create them, or even prevent them.

Maybe there's a part of heaven we design by Christ undoing our mistakes in this world ....
 
I'd go back to the day I met my wife. I didn't know I was going to marry her then -- so didn't pay as much attention that day as I wish I had! But I'd love to meet her for the first time again. (And it'd be nice to see myself about 40 pounds lighter with much more hair!)

My second choice would be the extra inning Rangers-White Sox game I attended way back when. As my foggy memory recalls, the Rangers gave up three runs in the top of the 12th to fall behind 9-6. But Mickey Rivers hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 12th to win it at old Arlington Stadium. What a game!

As for any place or event in history, I'd love to witness that whole Adam and Eve thing -- see what went wrong way back when.
 
Personally - The day my kids were born, what a feeling, what joy.

Historically - I would like to see what it was really like for the inner city kids in the late 1800's who were "farmed out" on the orphan trains. (google orphan trains to get an idea of the history here)
 
I would like to go back and visit with my Dad. He died when I was ten. My four sisters all say I am just like him. I wish I could have know him as an adult.

In history? Post-ressurection days with Jesus. To have seen the King in his glory, with the battle behind him, as yes, that would be fine!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?