Monday, November 28, 2005

Birthdays and Brokeness

Yesterday was my beautiful daughter’s birthday.  We celebrated at home with some Barbeque Pork Chops and her favorite, chocolate cake.  While it is good to spend time with extended family it is always good to have just “my bunch” there too.  It was just the perfect way to end a very good extended weekend.

My daughter has taught me much in life.  From the moment she entered this world she carved out a place in my heart.   She came into the world bringing joy and laughter.  She has never been accused of being a “copy” of her mom.  She challenges me by doing everything differently…..EVERYTHING!  I love her so much.  My life would not be complete without her in it!  (and today we get to go see the THREE babies again)

You know she continues to carve my heart.  I told you I had a response to Rick’s Cracked Hearts…I didn’t really know at the time that it would mesh with my daughter’s birthday, but it does.  You see, I think about many of the “cracks” in my own heart and know that many, many of them came after I became a mother.  It is easy to look back and see my mistakes, my shortcomings.  I can even see when I gave into things I said “I would NEVER do” in an effort to protect my children.  Some choices were wrong.  And each time a wrong was chosen, even if it was for the “right” reasons it chips out a little piece of my heart.  Now, my children also made some “wrong” choices.  Did I turn my back on them?  Of course not.  But again, a piece of my heart is chipped, broken, sometimes sliced in two.  

Rick says that through our brokenness we can better minister to others who are suffering.  I agree.  Nothing generates humility like repeatedly falling short.  However, there are times when we cannot minister while in the midst of brokenness.  When my children were hurting, no matter what the cause, I became the “mother-protector”.  If your child was suffering from the same thing at the same time, just keep them away from my child!  Now, I know that sounds harsh, but I think it is true.  At least I know it was for me.  I think we have to have some healing of our own cracks, before we can adequately minister to others with the same cracks.  But I do agree that only by looking at others through the eyes of brokenness will we truly become what God wants us to be.  

I thank God for the blessing of my children.  I know he has forgiven me for the times I have let him down.  And I praise him for helping me to grow through the experience.  Truly I understand his love and his LONGSUFFERING with me better because of being a Mom.    

Comments:
What a warming post! We can't have enough happy mums in this world.

:)
 
My kids have taught me sooo much--and I am so thankful.

I've heard it said if our *pots* were not cracked--He could not shine through. It makes brokenness make more sense.

Can hardly wait for a new baby report after your visit today!
 
What a sweet tribute to your daughter! It is obvious how much you love her.

I am so close with my own mother and now I have a daughter of my own! What a blessing.

Have fun watching your babies today!
 
Happy Monday to you, Donna! I like the frog.
 
Great post Donna! You humble a man who is trying so hard to rebuild the damage done over the last three years. To give the boys a foundation that will allow them to step out rather then cower in fear. They are still so scared and I have not done a good job of strenthening them. My prayer is that God will renew their hearts every day.

Thanks again.
 
Lovely.
 
I love your parenting wisdom. Thanks for the thoughtful and thought-provoking post. These girls we have are such a piece of our hearts.
 
You have the right heart to be a mother. May our heart be broken with the same things that break the heart of God! Our children are individuals with free will. They make their own choices. We love them for who they are not what choices they make. Keep loving, you are doing it right!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?