Tuesday, November 01, 2005

New in November

I love a new month; a clean piece of paper (or computer screen) an un-scribbled on calendar, the disappointments and failures of a previous month put to rest, written off as the past!

As I sit typing this morning there is an unusual sound outside my window. Oh my! The heavens have opened up and are pouring water on the earth! Oh yes, that is just rain. It has been so long I forgot all about it.

I was reviewing some of what I wrote last month. Just last Monday I was talking about being in a “funk”. Last night I was thinking how very content I was. I couldn’t put my finger on what had changed, but I think it is the weather. (and perhaps a little of this). With the cold snap, I snapped out of my weirdness. I accepted the place I am in life and truly counted my blessings. Sometimes I am afraid my moods are like the weather in Alabama, if I don’t like the one I am in, I can just wait a little while, it will change.

I must tell you that listening to the CS Lewis book on CD has been great for me. I expand my mind while driving and knowing that I am using this time for spiritual learning I am free to read “fun” stuff at home. Last night I reviewed 6 months of tennis magazines. I read the latest exploits of Stone Barrington over the weekend and I am ready to start a new book tonight!

In addition I am learning a lot from the book. Well, maybe I am not learning anything new, but I am being reminded of things I need to think about. Today’s poignant point for me is that Christianity is about men learning to imitate Christ; living their lives as He lived his. When the church or any other program emphasizes anything other than this they are getting away from Christianity. It is strange that I heard that this morning. Just yesterday I was having a conversation with my son that the whole purpose of the church’s meetings should be about edification and encouragement. It is a lot easier to “praise and worship” on your on. It is easier to get your mind in the right frame without distraction. But we need each other. We need someone to share our loads and to assure us that we are not the only ones who struggle. I think we also need to be assured that we are not the only ones trying. When I come to church services but fail to connect with anyone who is there I might as well stay home. If we are truly striving to be like Christ we cannot help but share with those around us. Maybe Christ living in you will be speaking to me when we meet. Maybe Christ living in me will talk to you. Either way we sure don’t want to limit the possibilities!

Comments:
I love a new month, too. Especially this month. The rain is even a nice change. I am going to read, yes read, your CSL book, Mere Christianity. I've heard good things about it.
 
I agree it's easier to worship without distraction--but it's more encouraging and inspiring to share it with brothers and sisters! I'm so thankful we get it both ways!!
 
Wow... I am going to have to copy this post. (since you are probably wondering, what post) This is your New in November post.

That is so true about "church services". That is why it is so often that I sit and feel like I am wasting my time. It is too often like watching a ceremony.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?