Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Wednesday's Wows

Today was a great day. I didn’t sleep that well; I never do before a trip. I got up around 5:30 loaded my car (after I re-packed) and went by the office to finish up some work before I headed south. The storm last night brought in some of that cooler weather. Today was absolutely beautiful and cool. The highlight of the beauty of the day was driving back from Pascagoula to Mobile and seeing the most beautiful sunset in my rear view mirror. Then as it got darker I was driving into a huge, gorgeous harvest moon! Wow!!

I listened to C.S. Lewis’s the Great Divorce on the way down here. I really liked that book. The imagery and the applications were great. Then I got to hear an interview with Dale, Jr. on the re-run of Eli Gold’s show as well as an interview with Zippy, Tony Stewart’s crew chief on the Claire B. Lang show. Plenty of entertainment WITHOUT having to listen to country music! (However, I must report that my XM radio does NOT work in the Bankhead tunnel!)

The best part of the day was actually getting to Pascagoula and meeting JD and family. What a great work they have going on there. What an awesome need! It is hard to imagine the complete and utter devastation that exists in the area surrounding the church building. I was excited to see them call people who had requested the small heaters that I brought; and I was privileged to meet a lady who received a coat and several sweaters from Cullman Alabama.

John, Maggie and Claire took me on a tour of the most damaged areas. It is truly humbling to see so much devastation and to know that this is after 10 WEEKS of clean up. I can’t fathom how life will return to normal here anytime soon. And yet in the midst of the chaos, life goes on. Claire, John’s granddaughter was worried that she would be seen when we drove by her school because she had checked out early today. She is also CERTAIN that it will snow tomorrow. It is a good thing I brought those coats and blankets!! I truly enjoyed meeting John’s family. I got a brief introduction to his “baby boy” as I was leaving for the day. What a great family!

I am looking forward to going back tomorrow and seeing how I can help.

BTW, I faced one of my great fears today. Is it going somewhere with just a map and directions? NO! Going to check into a motel with just an Internet confirmation? NO! Traveling a long distance alone? NO! Oh it must be meeting people for the first time, unsure of how I will be received? NO!…. I have an unnatural fear of long and high bridges. If you have traveled in the Mobile/Pascagoula area you know that there are more roads over water than there are over land. I just asked God to take care of me and I drove off of what felt like the ends of the earth. As usual he took very good care of me.

See you all tomorrow (well, you know what I mean).

Comments:
Post pictures if you can. Our church still has a big amount of $$ in it's hurricane releif fund and if you know someone who needs it, I would love to pass that information along!
 
It's amazing and humbling, isn't it. Made me ashamed to ever complain about anything in my life. It changed the way I look at things. Enjoy your time, I did.
 
I am sure they are looking forward to your coming back tomorrow, too!

High bridges are so scary--glad you made it!

Was it hard to find a hotel? I heard on the news there are still many people still living in hotels.
 
Donna, it was great to meet you too! We have crazy days around here ... we never set an agenda. The days set the agenda for us. But we'll do all we can. David took three of those heaters to their new owners last night on his way home - at 9:30. He just never stops.

Looking forward to today! I couldn't blog last night because CableOne had no service at the house, but I'll post the pic of you and the lady with the coat when I get a chance...perhaps early afternoon...on my blog.
 
So, I am really sad that you came through Mobile and didn't a) stay at our house or b) at least have lunch with us. Wow! I am so hurt ;-) Glad you had a good trip. Next time you travel through the BIG CITY let me know.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?