Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Happy Pearl Harbor Day

Happy Pearl Harbor Day! Yes I know it is a dark day in our history but in the end we won! That should be the greatest analogy of all for the Christian. This day has special significance to me. If you want to know why go back and read about it here.

Oddly enough the second part of that post from last year was talking about me being real with my friends….do you sense a recurring problem with me in my life? I must say that I have done much better since this time last year and with the Lord’s help by next year I might be so “real” that none of you can stand me!!

I was thinking about it being Pearl Harbor day and the fact that most of the WWII veterans are slowly dying off. I told you that my uncle Kelly who we buried last week served during the war. I failed to tell you that they did the military service at the graveside. It was very moving and an appropriate thing to do for anyone who has served their country. My uncle Paul (Kelly’s brother) also served during the WWII. He is in the same nursing home that my uncle Kelly was in. They spent everyday having long conversations. I wonder if they ever talked of the war years. I can’t help but feel regret at not talking to them when they were together. My Uncle Paul is very lonely without his brother to talk to. As much as I HATE nursing homes and I am making a public commitment to go and spend some time with him. Ya’ll hold me to it!

During the funeral last week they ended with the song Walking Alone at Eve. This was one of my Papa Wallace’s favorite songs. I could not help but think this morning of the soldiers in Christ’s war that have gone on before. My Papa was a great man of God whose faith and love for God just grew stronger everyday that he lived. While my uncles deserve recognition for fighting to keep our country free how much more should we honor those who fought the “good fight”; those who paved the way by demonstrating such great faith and passing it on to their children. There was a baseball size lump in my throat as we sang the chorus to this lovely hymn.

O! for a home with God,
A place in His courts to rest,
Sure in a safe abode with Jesus and the blest;
Rest for a weary soul once redeemed by the Savior’s love,
Where I’ll be pure and whole and live with my God above!

AMEN!

Comments:
That sounds pretty real.

My dad was also in WW2 My experience is that very few of them will speak about it at all. Not sure that was healthy for them in the long run.

Beautiful lryics.
 
Donna, thanks for reminding us of it being Pearl Harbor day! I had forgotten......and I got to visit PH a few years back. You'd think I would NEVER forget!

Thanks again!

ROLL TIDE!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?