Friday, December 02, 2005

Memories

(warning: just meandering down memory lane today)

It is always strange to go to the funeral home and see family that you have not seen in months, sometimes years. Last night was no different. It is getting harder as my aunts and uncles and even my parents just continue to get older. It is amazing to me that as close as my cousin Jennifer and I were growing up we never see each other now, unless it is at the family reunion, or like this. We are awkward around each other, not really having anything in common or anything to say. Last night I noticed that the family had brought some photo albums. I wondered. Would it be there? Uncle Kelly had a favorite practical joke that he pulled on me (and everybody else who would fall for it). It happened when I was about 9 years old. I remembered that my aunt had taken a picture. We were all in the kitchen floor, me in my now wet pajamas…all of us laughing. As I opened the album it was there. I hardly recognized my younger self laughing, but it was me and it was him, laughing and having a great time. When Jennifer walked up she asked me if I found it, and suddenly all of the years melted away and we talked and talked of the things we used to do, the fun we used to have, the trouble we used to cause.

Funerals and wakes at the funeral home are bittersweet experiences. My aunt and both of her daughters were holding up remarkably well, but my Mom and her sister had a really tough time when they first saw the body. And while everyone visited and got reacquainted we all knew it would not be that long till we gathered in this fashion again to tell somebody else goodbye. The cousins who are my age are now becoming grandparents (like me). We are supposed to still be the kids! Why is it when you are with family you think of yourself as the age you were when you all hung out together?

When we got back home I opened the paper to find his obituary. My weekly ad that runs was at the bottom of the page. I thought that was sweet, at least for me. I am posting the scanned and edited version of that page here, just so I will remember it. If you have journeyed with me down memory lane today, thank you. I think sometimes it is important to write down a little of “my story” as Terri says, just to help me remember and to someday give my children and my grandchildren a glimpse into who I was….who I am.


Comments:
Our preacher, Jim Martin, wrote a poinant blog recently (I have a link to his on my blog). He was talking about seeing his father in the hospital. His gray hair was messy in the back from laying on the hospital bed. It shocked him, because it reminded him of his grandfather who he remembers in the same position..gray messed up hair in the hospital.

He talks about how before you know it, it will be him in that hospital bed!

Life goes so quickly. How important it is to savor every day and to make an impact while we can!
 
Donna, thanks for sharing with us.....and it inspires me to reflect on those I have lost also!

DU
 
Thanks for sharing. You should get you a copy of that picture.
 
I too appreciate your sharing. I really enjoy your blog - don't know if I've ever told you!
 
As we become more separated and isolated from one another in our families, funerals have taken on an even greater significance in terms of touching base with each other.

And on the GRACE NOTES post ... oh my heart is so encouraged and blessed with the sweet words you wrote. I'm really thankful to the many people who have kept the ministry going - it belongs to God - and we will keep going until He slows it down and closes the doors.

Thanks, Donna!
 
Precious memories make life sweeter. Sorry for your loss but I am glad you got to spend time reminicing with family. God bless.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?