Thursday, December 08, 2005

Setting Goals

Last night as I was leaving church I asked one of our elders how his mother was feeling. She is a sweet lady who I have known my whole life and is in the hospital recovering from a pretty serious illness. Well he asked me how MY mother was! What? Well she is fine, why? Seems his mother told him that my mother had fallen and broken her ankle! What?!! I played tennis Tuesday night and had not talked to her on Wednesday but surely somebody would have called me!! So I pick up the phone on the way home to call her thinking she won’t answer the phone because they will still be at church. She answers the phone!

“Mom, how are you doing” I said tentatively.
“Oh, alright I guess, how are ya’ll?”
Uh, we are OK. Frank said Dorothy said you broke your ankle!”
“No that was Joy Hale” (My Mom’s name is Joy too)
“Whew! I thought I was really in trouble, why are you not at church?” {see all that legalistic training paid off}
“We meet at 6:00 on Wednesday night”
“Oh”

We had just talked about setting some spiritual goals in class. My goal {that I could mention out loud} was to visit my uncle as I told ya’ll about yesterday. Looks like I need to revise that to check on my parents daily, just where I am not caught off guard like that again!!

Do you believe that a goal is not a goal if it is not written down?


Comments:
I wouldn't say that it's not a goal, but it sure does help... once you've written it down, it's there forever.

I have become almost religious in writing down my goals. For long term goals, I take only 3 minutes each day. They say that it takes about that long, and anything that takes longer than that probably isn't really that importatnt to you.

What I have found is that my goals become more focused with each day... more colorful, more vibrant, and closer and closer to becoming reality. When I say long term, I mean the next 12-24 months.

Your short-term goals are the little things you do between now and then to get you to the big goal.

Those are harder to define, but well worth it. Those should probably be worked on at least once a week, for 10 or 15 minutes.

Anyway, that's my 2.37 cents, for whatever they're worth.

Brian
 
Hey - not to change the subject - but y'all are famous! Check out www.todaysdeepsouth.blogspot.com

Blugs!
 
"See all that legalistic training paid off" - oh, I chuckled outloud at that!

I used to be quite a list maker. My day was good or bad depending on how many check marks I had on the list at the end of the day.

I don't know what I think about goals now. It feels like pressure and failure. Maybe because I used to value my worth on how well I met my goals. Not sure. You've given me something to think about.
 
Goals need to be written down or else I would forget what I wrote that morning.

I have spend quite a bit of time helping churches (though not recently) set up vision, mission, core values, programs, etc. etc. etc. For a congregation they need to be written down. For an individual it's good too.

But the key, don't have to many or you "focus on the fog". Have a few attainable. Remember also some goals you work through some you pray through.
 
ought-to-biography...I have one of those.
 
What a great cartoon!

I have had a list going all week of stuff I need to get done. I am one of those kind of people -- if I don't write it down, I don't do it. So, a goal for me definitely has to be on paper to have a chance of accomplishment. Off to go and check more stuff off the list now that my kiddos are snoozing...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?