Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Seventh Day of Anticipation (C-4)

When he finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all his angels with him, the Son of Man will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, "Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:

Then those "sheep' are going to say, "Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?” Then the King will say, "I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me.” Matthew 25:31-39 (The Message)

I have a love/hate relationship with this passage or maybe I should say a fear/comfort relationship. To me this passage spells it out; our mission that is. You do this you’re a sheep…you don’t do this…you’re a goat. Seems pretty simple don’t it?

Surprisingly the folks who were “sheep” didn’t even realize what they were doing, or at least they didn’t realize the significance of their actions. During this time of year I am warmed by the community’s response to Christmas Trees/ Toys for Tots/ Food Drives and other great acts of giving. Yet often this is done with much fan-fare. People are very aware of what they are doing and they crave recognition for it. There is an article in the local paper almost daily covering such an event. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not criticizing good works, truly it is a wonderful thing. But where do these people go in January and February? Who is the newspaper covering then? Maybe a better question would be “If the newspaper was covering ME what would they report?”

As I look at that list I know that I fall short all year long. But I am resolved to keep trying. Today I will mail a gift card to the parents of a struggling family in Pascagoula. This is the same family whose children I bought gifts for. I pray that the gift will be a blessing to them. There is also an ideal on my heart that I need to help someone locally. (Do I say that I am being “led” to do this…? I think so!) I want to take part of my Christmas bonus and do this. However, I find myself “screening” families in my mind. “Do they really NEED help?” “Could they give up cigarettes?” “What if he would just get a regular job?” What am I doing; being as wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove”, or am I just being judgmental? I have prayed for guidance on this one.

As we anticipate the celebration of the birth of our Lord, let us remember the mission that he gave us……All Year Long! Maybe we could hold each other accountable.


Comments:
I am struggling this morning. Last night my husband came home with his Christmas bonus: a card which read "A donation has been made in your honor to The American Red Cross." UGH! I KNOW that the devestation of the hurricanes makes this a worthwhile cause, but I would rather give that money from my heart as opposed to it being given FOR me. AND....what if we had counted on a Christmas bonus to buy presents for our own children? Thankfully, we didn't. It also reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George didn't want to buy people presents, so he made up The Human Fund & made "donations" to it for his friends. I mean...what if my husband's company only gave $10 to the Red Cross & split that between 100+ workers?
So....I want to give to the poor & the needy, but I'm being kinda scroogy about this. I pray that God will soften my heart about this. It's really not that big of a deal anyway. To be a sheep I need to have a sheep's heart. That's what I want for Christmas this year!
 
Donna,
We don't have to approve of things people do to help them. And helping them doesn't mean that we approve. I know you know this. but I have to remind myself regularly.

To help with NO strings attached is really a beautiful thing. You are not responsible for fixing them, you just make the world a better place by helping them a bit.

And its better than what one co-worker of mine did years ago. He was so upset at the amount of his bonus that he left it pinned to his wall for years. a definite de-motivator.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?