Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Box of Books!

I love getting packages in the mail. Even if it is stuff I have ordered and paid for. My favorite thing is getting books and yesterday I got SIX!! The great news is I took advantage of some discounts and got them all for under $50!

So what did I buy? I am going to tell you, don’t worry. But I want you to realize that three of these six books were bought because they were recommended by fellow bloggers. You didn’t know you had so much power did you? Be careful talking about books, I will probably read it!

Getting Things Done
David Allen- Recommended by Wade Hodges

Mere Discipleship
Lee Camp- Most recently recommended by Amy, earlier by Jetty Betty

There Are No Shortcuts
Rafe Esquith- Recommended by Joe Cook.


The Cure for the Common Life
Max Lucado- you just have to buy a new Lucado book from time to time.

Mary, Mary
James Patterson – the latest in the Alex Cross series

Iron Orchid
Stuart Woods- the latest in the Holly Barker series.

The last two are just fun fiction and I am not recommending that you read them. But I like a good easy read from time to time.

I was going to do my reading list from last year, but just can’t seem to get it done. So in the spirit of looking forward I am going to end each month with a post of what I have read during that month.

So, what are you reading?

Comments:
I will look forward to what you have to say about these books. I haven't heard of "Getting Things Done" but the title resonates!
 
I am going to have to start a wishlist of sorts of books that I want to read from all these blogs. I'm reading blogs and through the Bible this year. I am also off and on reading Poisonwood Bible. I recently finish Ragamuffin Gospel-very good! and Searching for God Knows What-really like Don Miller books. I'm going to post a wishlist today so I don't forget...thanks Donna! You're always challenging us!
 
I noticed the GTD on Wade's blog but was at a interview in Cali for a training position and they recommened the same book. So I decided to read it. So far I've knocked out the introduction.
 
I've read Getting Things Done and have used Allen's methods for about five years now. I think you'll like it even though it's not about easy answers.

I'm reading the Narnia series with my son. He's really enjoying the stories, though at a chapter an evening, it'll take quite a while to get through the series.

I just picked up a Larry McMurtry novel called The Sin Killer.

Then, there is a box of books I haven't yet read.
 
Sorry I've been out of the loop. Your world vision picture is very moving.
 
"Mere Discipleship" changed my life more than any book I've read in a long time--I can hardly wait to hear what you think about it!

I am finishing "A Generous Orthodoxy" right now--my next book is "The Politics of Jesus" (recommended by Camp and McLaren both). Then, I think I will do a fluffy fiction book--those are so fun to pick up. Are you going to let us know if you like yours? And, I think you read "Divine Conspiracy"--that's on my list for the near future, too!
 
I'm reading Pardon the Inspiration and it's pretty good.
 
Donna-
I am enjoying the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series of books by Alexander McCall Smith. I am on the fifth book. Great, calming, enjoyable reading that makes me want to move to Africa! Anyone else read these?
 
I loved Patterson's early stuff with Cross. Have gotten out of that loop. Kids just eat up time don't they :)

Reading - Series of Unfortunate Events to decide if it is okay for my voracious reading daughter. I am thinking no right now. Dark, Dark stuff for a 9 year old.

Teaching out of "Messy Spirituality" by Mike Yanconelli (sp). Challenging stuff.
 
i want a book that is out of acu press that you can't find in your local christian bookstore, i've tried and they say they don't get books from acu press.

the name of the book is 'seeking a lasting city' by mark love, randy harris, and doug foster. it has a study guide in it so it can be used in small groups or for a class. i read the first chapter online and it looks really good. its not about changing the church but focusing on what we need to be doing.

just thought i'd share. i also spoke about this book on my blog recently.
 
GOD IS CLOSER THAN YOU THINK by Bob Ortberg ... I've got 2 more chapters to go. Very very good.

VELVET ELVIS by Rob Bell ... up next...recommended by Chris Lockhart.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?