Wednesday, January 25, 2006

How Rude!

I heard on a new program about a company who was going to institute a “no whining” policy. Basically if you whine and complain you lose your job. The “news” people were debating this issue and were certain that it would not be stood for in American Society.

My husband has just returned from Japan. One of the biggest differences in culture (other than food he thought should be reserved for “Fear-Factor”) was the extreme politeness and patience of the Japanese people. He made the comment that if he had been in the US when the airport delays were going on he was sure he would have seen a fight. However the people there remained calm, patient and kind.

Last night I was participating in my new sleep stealing addiction of watching the Australian Open. The match was Nicolas Kiefer against Sebastian Grosjean. Kiefer ended up with the win after 5 sets and four hours and 48 minutes of tennis. But I turned the TV off when Kiefer when on his third diatribe against the officials over a line call. I don’t watch tennis to see grown men acting like babies when they don’t get their way.
.
I don’t even want to mention the airing of American Idol last night, but I must. They spent the whole show leading up to a foul mouthed loser named Rhonetta who had plenty of negative things to say about everyone. For some reason the network assumed that seeing this display of vulgarity would keep viewers around until the bitter end.

Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing (NIV) or Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second guessing allowed! (The Message)


Are rudeness, bickering and complaining the accepted norm in our lives? Are we any different than those around us? Do any of the above words describe love? Will they know we are Christians by our love?

Comments:
I watched a little bit of American Idol too, but I just couldn't take it. A couple of times I watched just the person sing and then flipped the channel. It was so painful to watch the judges laughing at the expense of that person.

There are a couple of people at work who have something negative to say about anything. It's a little humorous.

We are called to be light and salt. For me that means seeing the best in people and giving them the benefit of the doubt that there is a reason that they feel a certain way-to strive for understanding.
 
Might I just say, the people being judged knew that would happen before they auditioned.

If you are that bad and set yourself up to audition then you get what you deserve.

I thought that black chick was disgustingly gross.
 
I love American Idol, and I'm watching it right now. Was out of town last night so I had to Tivo it. I do feel sorry for the ones that really can't hear music and think they can sing. I had a college friend who couldn't hear a tune at all. He thought I sounded exactly like George Strait, unless I was singing a Hank Jr song. Then he thought I sounded just like Hank Jr and so on.

Whew, I just heard the Somewhere Over the Rainbow girl.

I wish everyone one quit the whining. I experience it a lot in the workplace.
 
OK, I just saw Rhonetta. That was way over the top.
 
Yeah, Rhonetta didn't do anything for me. But as for all the whining about how mean the judges are (case in point: there was an AP story yesterday about that very subject), I mean, really. The show is in its fifth year. If you've watched the first four years, you know what to expect. Part of the appeal is that the judges say outrageous things to some of the contestants. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. And you CERTAINLY don't have to audition for it.

I do enjoy the show more when we get to the singing talent and away from picking on the morons who can't sing and don't know it.

But even then, I love to hear Simon's comments because he is honest. If a contestant stinks it up, he tells them so.

Sorry, Donna, you know I'm an "Idol" fan, so you hit too close to home. :)

-- Bobby
 
I missed Idol but whining isn't attractive on anyone. I have second graders that whine every time I tell them to do something. It drives me nuts!
 
For the record....I have NO PROBLEM with the judges on American Idol. I agree these folks know what they are in for when they sign up...do their families not love them, or are they tone deaf too.?

My issue is rudeness and a gutter mouth, especially when it is directed toward someone who is just trying to do their job (ie: the line judge at the tennis match).

I think all in all the judges on AI are a lot kinder than I could be. Folks know the camera is rolling... there is a lot of acting going on.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?