Monday, January 16, 2006

Not Remotely Interested

I know that I am spoiled. I know that I am very fortunate to have a husband who shares in the house work and who takes care of me. It often flies in the face of my independent streak to admit how much he does…..but not really. Truly independent (and somewhat flighty) people are happy to let others deal with details. I am such a person.

But I am capable. I made three visits yesterday, went to church, had lunch with Derek, Mary and Matthew, went to the grocery store, baked chicken breast to last all week, grilled some hamburgers, finished a book, started another, washed dishes then unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, washed two loads of clothes, took out the garbage, fed the dogs, TOSSED A DEAD OPOSSUM OUT OF MY YARD, got my clothes ready for work today, but then, then I hit a wall. I thought I was going to be defeated…..

Yes, I entered the man’s world and had there been the choice I would have cried “uncle” and refused to figure this out, but alas there was none there to hear my call and shrieks of frustration, so I persevered.

What can be so hard you ask? TV!! We have a high definition monitor TV in the living room. Really, all I was trying to do was turn it on to record 24 where we could watch it when David gets back home. But attached to said TV is, the satellite system (which has a remote), the tuner for antennae TV (with remote), a surround sound system (with remote) DVD player (with remote) and finally a VCR (with, you guessed it…another remote)! Well, none of the said remotes would turn on the TV! I was sure something must have been changed when the new tuner was hooked up so I pull the TV out from the wall. I trace the cables to the proper apparatus…..this being much easier said than done. Finally I got the TV to come on (manually, no remote involved) but still could not get past a blue screen. This is the point where I would normally say in a somewhat elevated tone “David, I cannot figure out all of these stupid remotes!!” fortunately for him he is on his way to Japan! Finally I realize that the VCR must be on for the satellite feed to pass through to the TV. But then none of the stupid remotes will work on the satellite. So I manually change the channel from 310 or something down to channel 6 to get the Fox feed. I test the VCR to make sure it is recording (again manually), I wait for the football game to end, go in and press “record” manually and leave the room. When the 2 hour premiere ends I manually stop the VCR and manually turn off the TV. Tonight I will skip all the steps that involve the remotes and just get the job done!!

In life we often have to sift through all of the handy-dandy conveniences we have added to get down to the simple truths of what will and what will not work. Many times the best way, the way that will work will not be the most convenient.

Comments:
I am laughing out loud! I can so relate to all of this. I've been married for 15 years and still can't operate my in-law's tv system with the satellites and all. I don't even attempt to record things. And TiVo, what's that?!
 
Ha!!!!!!

My mother-in-law is living with us temporarily, she hasn't a clue how to get anything going on our "system". Our 10 year old helps her.
 
a virtual standing ovation is going on as you or anybody else reads this.

that is amazing that you figured that out, and all for your husband, and you to watch later. that is so cool.

there are so many that would throw their hands up in despare and run away! you hung in there. good job.

oh yeah, thanks for stopping by.
 
Waitwaitwait - go back to the dead possum...

(sounds like your husband and my husband would get along famously!)
 
As Brad Paisley says, "You need a man around there." Fortunately David will be back soon.

The remote is one of the last domains where man is still in control. Well, and leading while dancing but even that can be challenged at times. Running multiple remotes can be a very demanding task. That is why so much time is required perfecting that behavior that you most women seems so easy. It is about time the men got a little respect!

It sounds like you are a super woman with the rest. Hang in there!
 
Remotes are for men, yeah.
 
LOL Great post, Donna. I wanna know more about the possum! Other than it was dead. Roadkill? Ah...who cares. But I do wonder if you are going to go for the title of Opossum Tossing Queen of Cullman?
 
So true...AMEN to the remote "control" jungle...add two monitors w/motion contolled cameras to the mix and you're walking in my shoes. Of course, the cameras do help us keep an eye on our outside pets and other things that go bump in the night and I am gradually learning which buttons do what.
 
Donna, you live in Alabama... it's okay to leave the "O" off of "opossum", and make it plain ol' possum

You had this southern bama boy confused for a moment with your incredible and vast vocabulary!
 
by the way, is there a plant there in Cullman called Web Wheel or something like that?
 
tl,

There is a plant up here in Indiana, and I just enrolled a family in our insurance program last night, and the husband works there.

He told me it was based out of Alabama, and he thought it was Cullman.

Being from Montgomery, I thought I'd heard of it before, but I wasn't sure.
 
I will glady watch as appliances, tv systems, remote controls, dvd recorders and satellite systems burn on the day of judgement. They are mean to torture women!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?