Sunday, January 15, 2006

Over, What and Who---the see or Sea

David left today on a business trip to Japan for a week. I would appreciate your prayers for his safety. He was really dreading the trip. He is the pickiest eater I know. He is not so much worried about telling them what he can't eat as he is about offending some protocol. I told him him just to say he was allergic. It is true enough in a sense, it will make him throw up. I tried to tell him to relax and enjoy the trip, it is probably a once in a life time opportunity. I don't guess Japan would be on my short list of places I would like to visit, but, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity either.

I finished the first McLaren book last night. Oddly enough he quotes from the C.S. Lewis book I am reading right now (The Last Battle). Somehow that brings the point home in an even greater way. I can't wait to start the next book, but I have a few to read in front of it.

24 starts tonight!! Woo hoo! This is the only TV series I get excited about. However, I will record the programs (tonight and tomorrow night) and wait to watch them with David...maybe I will actually start the VCR properly this time.

Today I chose to "be" a Christian instead of going to learn more about how to "be" a Christian. I used the time set aside for Sunday School to make a visit. I don't know why but I still think my mother would be disappointed in me for making that choice. I however felt that I chose the greater thing today. I wonder why I don't make that choice more often?

Comments:
We skipped class today, because we needed to make a *visit*. Some days, we decided we have to be church instead of doing church. (I don't want to minimize the importance of class--just occasionally there's something else that needs to be done!)
 
Donna, there is a good chance David will find something he'll like over there. My family tends to be picky eaters, and Japanese hibachi is one of our favorite meals. Sushi, on the other hand... I'll pass.

Good on ya for *being* the church.
 
We sometimes feel guilt because even though we fight against it, our faith is still fairly institutionalized. Guilt can be a parent's best friend! It is used to control kids and it is still working on us years later! oy! Guilt is a gift - it causes us to think about what we are doing or not doing. Guilt can be a deceiver - we can feel guilty about things that contain no reason for guilt. (such as blessing someone with a visit during Sunday school time or leaving the hurricane relief to take a break).

Anyhoo... it's too early for all this and I haven't had coffee yet ... but I did want to let you know that I'm sure you were a great blessing to your friend.
 
Good for you Donna! Our sermon is church yesterday was about how we are the church, not the building and the challenge was to get out and be the church to our neighborhood, co-workers and everyone we meet. To do what Jesus would have done. I'm pretty sure Jesus would have gone on the visit.

The guilt is probably satan. What a better way to keep us from be effective in reaching people than to keep us all huddled together in the church building.
 
Donna,
just catching up. But wanted to say here that your mother might surprise you. Maybe. I can't help but think of the priest passing by on the other side of the road (good samaritian story) and wonder if he was on his way to "church".
 
good on ya, donna. i think being church is more important than attending church. we can sit on a pew and never really know God, but you were church to whomever it was you went to see.

also, i was stationed in yokosuka (pronounced yoe-koe-skah) for 2 years and i didn't care for it. i am a picky eater. i found stuff to eat, though. i survived and yes saving face is a big thing there. they will understand since he is their guest, and they should give him some grace.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?