Thursday, January 12, 2006

Simple Things

Last night we talked some about using our ordinary life to show God to the world. I was trying to challenge us to find the ways that we could do that in what we already do. We all have gifts and strengths that are unique to us. Sometimes we take our gift for granted, because it is so second nature to us. We have trouble comprehending that others may struggle with the same things. I think perhaps that is one key to discovering what you are gifted at doing. Try to remember the times people have said, I wish I could do “that” speaking of something that you do with ease. If you know it is something you are comfortable doing it is not a big stretch to turn that into something you do for God’s glory.

I am sometimes super-aware of what it going on around me. I notice people drop things or struggle to carry things when I am in a fast food place or grocery store. I have tried to use that awareness to jump in and help. I want to be the first one there to help pick up the ladies walking stick, or to carry someone’s tray to their table when they are struggling with children, bags, or again the walking stick. I could do a lot better, but this is one small way I can make small changes.

What are some simple things you can do to show God to someone?

Comments:
My Mom always taught me to be polite. But I remember a day some 20+ years ago when I opened the door for an older black women and she was grateful, she smiled touched my arm and said, thank you and God bless you. My thought was and who knows this but how many times in her life has a white man opened the door for her? I don't know but being polite to people and serving.
 
I think listening to others and encouraging them is something that comes naturally to me. I see it as no big deal, so thanks for the reminder to use this gift to build up the kingdom.

You are also an encourager to many, myself included. Thanks!
 
I feel like I have a "sixth sense" about friends and loved ones. I have been known to figure out friends are pregnant before they are telling people!

I can often tell if they are struggling. I think when I take the time to find out how my friends/family are doing shows that I am tuned into them and that I care. I just need to take the time to do that more often!
 
Dee,
I appreciate all your sweet comments, too!
 
Take the time to talk to people that others don't notice. Look deeply in their eyes. Be kind to wait staff. Identify with their pain and joy. Let people know that God makes a difference in your life--every day.
 
donna,

thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment on my blog.

i work in the sound booth at my church and i have gotten comments made towards me that the services sound good when i am working 'the board'. my comment to them is that anyone can get better if they don't give up after failing the first 15 or 30 times. we all can get better at what we do if forget that what we do is not us doing it. does that make sense? God has given us our ablities.

i have also been told that i am a good encourager. i just want to make people feel good when i see them, and stuff like that.

good post donna.
 
I've been told I'm a good listener and I tend to see the good and the potential in people. Plus because I'm single I am flexible and can drop everything to go help a friend or hang out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?