Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Happy Birthday

1st day of February! Happy Birthday Daddy! My Dad always worked hard. I can remember him coming in from work, dirty and exhausted. It was not unusual for him to be asleep in his chair by 7:00. However, the sleep was never deep enough for him to sleep through us trying to change the TV channel. That was the real curse of the manual changer {for you youngsters that was before remote control} the noise. If you dared to try and watch Carol Burnett, he would almost come out of the chair. I really never understood what he had against Carol. He watched Red Skeleton religiously; it was sort of the same wasn’t it?

Saturday nights at my house involved enduring Lawrence Welk and Hee-Haw. (The links to these shows says they were both cancelled in 1971...I am pretty sure they showed reruns for at least ten more years around here...probably longer, I know it was always on when I was dating and I sure wasn't dating in 1971!) I guess I inherited my eclectic taste in music. Some Saturday nights we would go to the local music house (you couldn’t really call it a honky-tonk we live in a dry county) to hear the local Blue Grass bands. I truly learned to hate it. But way before I knew or cared to hate the Tennessee Volunteers I knew all the words to Rocky Top. People would get up and “buck dance” {not my family} and basically just have a good time. I don’t know if people still do that around here, I don’t really think I care enough to find out.

But, it would be cool if people my age would get together and play classic rock on the weekends. All those bands that were around when we were in school could reunite and get together on Saturday nights; maybe we could “break-dance”. HA! Actually most of the people my age seem to have converted to Country Music. I understand to an extent, many of the songs truly sound like rock. I guess I am just a die hard but I can’t make the switch. However, I would be a lot more interested in going to a Third Day concert than most of the “rockers” that are still around. So I guess I have changed, just in a different direction.

Just as a footnote, my Dad knew how to play hard too! He always played softball with us in the front yard. He cracked a rib roller skating with us. He still loves to laugh and cut up with us. He kept the basement clear where we could ride our bikes (yes we rode bikes round and round in the basement) and roller skates down there. I didn’t know what a sacrifice this was for him until we all moved out and the “projects” began. I love you Daddy! Happy Birthday!

Comments:
I have very distinct memories of curling up with my family at our house in Tuscaloosa and watching HeeHaw. That would have been around 1980ish. I think the website must have been mistaken!
 
Did you see the moon last night? It was smiling at us!

The most Country that my family ever got was Kenny Rogers music. Of course, growing up, I thought the lyrics to 'Lucille' went like this: "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille. 400 children & crops in the field." I thought that was a LOT of kids!!!!!!

And we watched Benny Hill in my family (& I must have been very young) which explains A LOT!!!!!
 
What a great tribute! I watched Hee-Haw growing up too-couldn't tell you if it was re-runs or the real thing. My Grandee played piano and his brother plaed fiddle, so we had some hoe downs at reunions growing up :)

But now I would much rather go to a Third Day concert. I like almost any kind of music though(except twangy country and raunchy rap).

Happy birthday to your dad! May God overwhelm him with blessings this year!
 
I think third day is coming to B-ham I know Chris Tomlin is soon.

Hee Haw and Lawrence enough said. I almost spit my coffee out at "I don’t really think I care enough to find out"
 
SSSSAAAALLLLUUUTTTEEEE! I too have some post 70's memories of Hee-Haw on Saturday nights and Lawrence Welk. I wanted to be Sissy when I grew up.

What a sweet tribute to times gone by and your Dad!
 
Birthday blessings for Donna's dad!!! Thanks for being a wonderful dad to Donna!

I would much rather do a Third Day concert--I never converted to country either!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?