Friday, March 10, 2006

Can You Make the Analogy?

I did not play tennis when I was young. I picked up a racket a few times and David and I used to get out and hit some. I learned to do a lot of things the wrong way. Now, what I do is still tennis and sometimes I do it wrong well enough to still win. But to grow and develop as a tennis player I have got to “un-learn” a few things. Then I can learn the proper form and technique and be able to take my game to the next level.

The hard thing about this is that they way I do it now “feels” so right. And if I could be content to keep playing the same people in the same way I would not have to change at all. I could keep on swinging away at volleys and hit short balls out. But I know I have got to step out of my comfort zone to grow into a better tennis player.

Why is it sometimes so hard to admit that we just learned something “wrong”? The only thing shameful about this is refusing to be shown that there is another way.

Comments:
YES! Great analogy! I have one too... I used to give "backrubs" all the time (because my mom has really bad migraines). So, I was known for them... really good at it. I ended up going to school for massage therapy. There were SO MANY THINGS I needed to learn to do the right way. My ways were good... but this was so much better! My ways got the job done... but they would've taken a toll on my hands in the long run!

Takes humility though, doesn't it.
 
Well, I don't know about you but I was raised to be RIGHT! We knew the truth, the whole truth, and nothin' but the truth...or so we thought. Growing up and restudying on your own is a confidence breaker but a faith builder. It isn't about what we know or how well we do...it is about HIM and what he did on the cross. Yes, we need to unlearn and relearn lots of things. Angie is right, it takes a lot of humility!
 
You know... my biggest challenge was learning that my way wasn't the ONLY way. The best thing I've ever learned is how to respectfully and lovingly disagree with others and to really have an open mind. Spiritually, I've benefitted more from those two attitudes than any other.

And on occasion, I still give my old-fashioned backrub to my mother, and she doesn't complain a bit!

If the old ways work for some... if that's all they are ready for... God gives them the same grace He gives me.

Enjoy the tennis channel! :-)
 
Golf. I taught myself and developed my own swing. It was a horrible swing which sometimes was affective. I knew it was wrong and had no problem admitting that. I sought help at a late age and had no problem seeking that help to teach me how to swing properly. The only problem I have is breaking the habit of that wrong swing that was engrained in my mind for 20 years.
 
tl- it can also feel wrong and be right.

I think subtle changes are the hardest. Big changes that make big differences are easy. It is sometimes the little changes that make the lasting difference. But little changes are harder to recongize and harder to accept. That's why I think the last 5 lbs. are the hardest to lose.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?