Monday, March 27, 2006

Loving Service

Twenty years ago I started attending East Cullman. I came to church alone with my son who had just turned five and my daughter who was two years old. I came from a small church full of relatives, including my parents. I was used to having lots of help handling these two, but I felt that I needed to make the change to give them more opportunities to make friends. I also had hoped that a wider range of people our age would encourage David to come with us to church. Well, whatever the reasons those first couple of years was sometimes very challenging. My daughter had a wonderful couple who taught her Sunday school class. She never minded staying with them. She loved them because they loved all of the kids in their class. I am not sure how it happened, but looking back I am sure they were watching me, but we ended up sitting close to them during worship services. Diana was a bit of a wiggle worm, but this kind man could calm her just by tickling her arm with a pencil. I truly don’t know how I would have survived those early years without this wonderful couple. I guess this is one reason I am a proponent for children’s Church. It would have been easy for me to quit in those days, but if there had been an alternative for the children it would have been easier on all of us.

Yesterday after church, this same sweet lady made a bee-line for me. She wanted to tell me that she and her husband had decided that they would do something every month for the triplets. I was speechless. To know that they had sat down together and decided to do something special for my child was overwhelming to me. This during a time when they have struggled with their own health issues and knowing that they have a grandchild who has special needs; truly filled my heart with love and appreciation for the wonderful spirit of this couple.

You cannot express love to me in any greater way than by loving my children…..

Don’t you think this is what God was trying to tell us in Matthew 25?

Comments:
...reaching for the Kleenex!

We have also been blessed by people to love our children. There's nothing like it.
 
That's why we attend EC--because of a couple who loved my little Daniel in Bible Class and out.

I, too, am all for Children's Church--or Kids For Christ (as they call it). John and I have to take turns who gets to stay in church, and who has to leave with Kai. Well, at least I'm there every Sunday now, to get to take turns. ; )
 
I know there is no quicker way to my heart than to love my kids. I suppose this must be just one more way God created us in his image.
 
What a precious testimony! I was a church kid and there were many, many people who loved on me and shared Jesus with me. Since I don't have kids, I try to be that person to others' kids at church. We are a body, a family, a community. This story just proves that! I'm so glad that people are embracing and loving on Diana and her family and on you!!!
 
that's a really great story. our lives are full of stories. telling others our story was the topic of "good news nights" at central in pascagoula friday night. the guy said he can't wait to get home and tell of story of his stay bieng the hands and feet of Jesus.

i liked the comment that the one lady made about us being a family. i agree, and it was really made evident to me and my family when we lived in texas, and all our realtives lived in alabama. the church has been family for me for a long time.

great post.
 
good stuff Donna. You had to post this a day after I was asked to help with the 1 year olds at church. Why would someone ask a 6'7" guy to help with 1 year olds....
 
that's awesome.
 
We have a couple we sit by every Sunday. They are always real nice to my girls and never forget them on their birthday, christmas, etc.
 
Amazing--I want to be like them!
I'm off for a tissue, too.
 
My daughter, Megan and I began attending EC in 1986. She spent fifteen years of her young life being molded by some of the best...including Terri and you, Donna.
I'm glad we both had the opportunity to experience the love of EC...
 
What an example to all who meet them (and meet them via your blog)...
 
Let the children come to Jesus...let the adults be there for them!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?