Saturday, March 11, 2006

Ramblings.

I am going to hit some tennis balls today. I need to do something physical. Sitting in a hospital room makes me hungry and sleepy. I think they send sublmiminal messages to that area of the hospital Diana is in. She has gained 5 lbs since Monday (that is a good thing). Mom gaining weight....not a good thing.

I have been playing a game with myself while at the hospital. I speak to everyone I get on the elevator with. Not just, "hey, how are you?" but actual conversations. It has been interesting and enlightning. Those conversations may just make an interesting post some day.

Have you noticed "themes" among the blogs that you read? I don't know if it is because we all read a lot of the same people or what, but it seems like everyone I read will get on the same subject at the same time. Sometimes it is spooky that it is something I am dealing with in my life.

A couple of weeks ago (I think, I have no concept of time anymore), everyone was blogging aobut homosexuality. Oddly enough the class I was teaching got off on this subject. It was good that I had been exposed to a lot of different view points when trying to "corral" this group and some of their thoughts.

Lately the talk has been on giving/helping the poor and needy. I think I read three or four post this moring that deal with that subject in one way or the other. Being a good steward is a constant struggle for me. I am convinced that we neglect a great blessing when we routinely write checks and hope that our money is put to good use. I don't have any great insights into this matter, nothing that would change the way you think or act. But I do feel that I have been a part of the great "cop-out" of writing checks. I think giving is a command, but it is much like the sacrifices that God despised in the Old Testament, if we are not giving with our hearts behind it, we are just going through the motions. God LOVES a cheerful giver (that is for you TL). We have said it so many times we don't know what it means. But I think that giving with our hearts involved is THE way to walk as Jesus walked and to feel the spirit in our lives. The main thing to remember here is that Jesus didn't have any MONEY! To give as Jesus gave may not involve money at all. At the same time he does expect us to honor him with all of our gifts and blessings!

Don't just write a check, find something you are passionate about and MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Comments:
We sometimes get misled that giving is only money. It is our time, our money, and our lives. Of course to me it's easier to give money as I seem to have more of it than time ( I don't have much money, but I seem to have a lot less time).
 
In the old days many people brought their offerings to church in a basket or a wagon. It was often a physical gift. I think the concept of physically giving of ourselves is an idea whose time has come. With so much need around us we should be there lending a helping hand!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?