Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Should I post or Should I delete?

I am not a big Jimmy Durante fan, but I remember the song that was done in the Oscar nominated movie-(NOT) “My Stepmother Is an Alien”. The words are:

Did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to go,
and still have the feeling that you wanted to stay? ...

For some reason this song popped into my head last night.

Then there was the Clash song “Should I Stay or Should I Go”:

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An’ if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Transformation often involves coming and going. Many times it involves making decisions that will tear your heart apart. Just when you think you know the answer to a particularly difficult question you are thrown a curve ball that changes your perspective. And yet the one thing that is certain about transformation; you will NOT stay the same.

Perhaps the truth is that transformation is not always “joyful”. Realizing that your thinking has been changed to such an extent that you find it difficult to relate to people who think just like you used to think is tough.

Sometimes when I pray for God to open my eyes I don’t really mean it. I don’t really want to accept the reality of what I am seeing. And I do NOT want to make difficult decisions. It is easier just to drift along and hope that everything works out.

But God did not call us into a life of being passive. He wants us to make a difference in His world. He wants us to touch His people by showing His love to them. I cannot do this while staying in the cocoon. To fly like a butterfly I must be able to break free of the ugliness of the cocoon.

Comments:
But you have to be willing to go into the cocoon to even begin to dream of being a butterfly - most of us would rather die a caterpillar than go through that cocoon stage!!!! Great post Donna!!!
 
Amen! Transformation is painful.
 
Great post! Deep thoughts to consider. Transformation is change. Change is one of life's biggest challenges. Yes, asking that God open your eyes is treading on dangerous territory because He is always faithful to do what is His will. And His will is that our eyes be opened....SO BEWARE!
 
I heard somewhere that at the last great meeting of all the Species, the dinosaurs voted not to change. We change, one way or the other, whether we like it or not. Driving back from Missouri today listening to Bob Seger...whose songs usually had something about "change" in them, but especially "Like a Rock" reminded me how quickly things change....the good news is that in Jesus we know why we are changing, why it hurts so much sometimes, and who we are becoming in the process....thanks for the post!
 
Change is a challenge. Watch where you step!

These are hearty matters and not easily resolved. Keep praying, trusting, listening, watching, and learning. Maybe there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
"Sometimes when I pray for God to open my eyes I don’t really mean it. I don’t really want to accept the reality of what I am seeing."

You took the words right out of my mouth.....prayer is a scary thing at times because God takes us serioulsy and then we get to choose what to do with it. "Open my eyes Lord but spare me any pain in the process" is often my thought.

Your honesty is a blessing to me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?