Friday, March 31, 2006

What Would You Do?

A few nights ago I stopped at a store to get a snack after playing tennis in Huntsville. I was short on cash so I paid for my purchase with my debit card. When I returned to my car I was sitting there with my windows down reading an e-mail on my Treo. This man approached me after I had sat there for four or five minutes and apologized for asking but said he was $16.00 short of having enough money to get back in his room. (I truly have no clue what he was talking about). He said “I am not a bad person and I don’t usually do this kind of thing, but I don’t know what else to do”. He told me he had gone into the store and asked if there were odd jobs he could do to make the money. I had exactly $6.00 in cash. I wish I had gotten “cash-back” on my debit card purchase where I would have more to give him, but I did give him the $6.00. He was very grateful. But I drove away wondering if I should have offered him a ride or if I should have tried to get him the other $10.00 he needed. I know I have a responsibility to take care of myself and not to put myself in a position that I must call on God to rescue me. But I worry when I don’t go the second mile.

I am not asking for advice or admonishment. It is a lot easier to see danger for others than you do for yourself. But shouldn’t there be a way I could help someone who clearly needs it without putting myself in danger? What would you do?

Comments:
I love the new pics of the babies--I can tell they are growing!

I wish I had the answers to your questions--I don't know where you draw the line between common sense--self-preservation--and being Jesus to anyone who asks. I suppose if I had the clarity of mind to do so--I would have asked what hotel where he was staying and gone there and paid for him--but I'm not sure I have a really quick mind in situations like this. I probably would have done exactly as you did--and have the questions you now have. Perhaps it has to be a Holy Spirit thing for each situation???
 
I would have done the same thing and then wondered if I did too much or not enough. Be careful out there!
 
This has always been a tough one for me. I am sometimes too softhearted for my own good. I've been stolen from by a girl I was getting food for in a food pantry and had druggies living in my home putting my roommates in danger and have been accosted by too many to count.

It burned me for awhile. I wondered what the good was in helping people anyway. Such a lie from Satan.

So, now I'm back to square one. There's no template to follow and that makes me uncomfortable.

In every situation following the Spirit's leading at that very moment has to be key. I can think ahead of "what would I do?" but when the time actually comes, it's always different, isn't it?

Such a delicate balance between naivete and justice and mercy...
 
Good job Donna.
 
I know you read my blog and have encountered the same things. Then, I'm left to wonder did I do enough? The one thing I have drawn the line at is going and taking money out with my debit card. I'm afraid I'd be setting myself for something more of a violent robbery. If I don't have the cash, I try to offer another way to encourage them and move on. Since moving, I have not encountered this at all, though. I guess they haven't changed our address on the bathroom stall at the shelter yet! :-)

Ya done good!
 
I struggle with the same thing when I see people walking on the side of the road--and especially when I have my kids in the car. I feel really guilty for not stopping to offer them a ride, but I don't want to put my kids in danger. Then I wonder if I shouldn't just do what is right and trust God to keep my babies safe--but boy is that a scary concept!
 
Well, I think God might say that he loves it when you give like that. And it makes him happy to see you growing in this way.
 
I think you did the right thing, given the circumstances. And your heart was right -- that's the most important thing.

I've been in the same situation before. It is difficult to know exactly what to do, and it's natural to second guess yourself.

--
 
I would have done the same thing, as a woman. If I were a man, I would have driven him to his destination and paid for his room.

So hard to know, esp. when you are a woman and alone. Be careful!
 
It is hard to know how to help. I am afraid that when we give cash we often buy whiskey. I don't have any answers for you. I share the questions.
 
What a kind woman! You did the right thing. Unless there is some type of connection, I don't think a woman should take a strange man or woman somewhere.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?