Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Yet another Spin analogy

Today was my first day back to Spin class in two weeks. I needed it! Hospital food and stress eating have taken their toll on my waistline….not to mention my thighs!

It is so great to walk into a room where you are comfortable and feel accepted even after a long absence. The sense of community and camaraderie bring a smile to my face. Most people there don’t know me well enough to ask about the babies, but several did. That didn’t really matter. I wasn’t there just to socialize. I NEEDED to work out.

I got to thinking about a post I read yesterday where the author was aggravated (he used different terminology) because his church services were not aggravating him. Nobody was pushing him or asking him why he wasn’t giving more or doing more or basically holding him accountable in any way.

In Spin class, it is up to me how hard I work. You can be a slacker and nobody can really tell the difference except you; but, the instructor pushing me, asking me to go harder, stronger, longer….motivates me. An atmosphere of fun and participation makes the effort worth while.

My service to my God is up to me too. However, I don’t think it is too much to ask to have an atmosphere that pushes and encourages me to do my best. Service is much like exercise, to see any real change, any real progress you are going to feel some pain. Nothing worth while is easy.

Comments:
good stuff Donna
 
All right, get up, let's go...hit the road, grow, get stronger, love somebody!

Did that help?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?