Thursday, May 18, 2006

Bridge


A thing that provides connection, contact, etc.

This is one of the definitions provided by Webster’s for the word bridge. I have what I think is an unnatural fear of bridges. Especially the ones that are really high and you can’t see where it ends on the other side. And yet, there are many places you can’t get to at all if you don’t cross a bridge. The scary thing is not what is on the other side; it is that transition period that is spent getting there. There is something about being in a suspended state that is not appealing to me. I remember the first time that I drove to New Orleans. The bridge seemed endless. Having never been there I lacked a vision of where I was going and I could not physically see what was on the other side. This was quite unnerving.

Then there are the bridges that you walk on. It goes against our very nature to leave solid ground and walk on planks connected by rope suspended 40 or 50 feet in the air. And yet to get to the other side, taking the bridge is a necessity. Many a good movie scene has included someone falling through or off of one of these bridges. One of my favorite scenes in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is where he had to take a step of faith to cross a bridge. The actual bridge had a chameleon effect. You could not see it until you stepped on it. I suppose that it could be said that crossing any bridge requires that you have faith. Lack of faith is surely what causes people to fall off


I guess you could say I am on a bridge

Comments:
But the key is your on a bridge, most people would never ever step foot on one. Fear controls alot of people even people who would say they are strong in the ways of the Lord. But yet they are afraid of stepping on the bridge of the "Holy Spirit" who they can't control.

The bridge, we'll build it now
It may take a lot of time.
 
A friend of mine had a brother who was a missionary in Kenya. One of the dialects there didn't have a word for faith. So they used this phrase instead: "Standing with both feet on a bridge". Trusting a bridge to hold you up is faith.

Bridge = faith journey

Talk about not knowing where the other side of the bridge is:
God: Hey Abram, your about to take a long trip.
Abram: Where to?
God: I'll tell you when you get there.
 
If you are on a bridge, you are having a very spiritual moment like Abraham. He's waiting to see what you'll do next.
 
Where did the bridge to the 21st Century go?
 
You and Sandy P. at church have something in common. ; )
 
"There are bridges you cross you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed." - Wicked


The scary part is that you KNOW you still have the choice to turn back or keep going. Kinda like your own desert between Egypt & the Promised Land. (I just hope your bridge doesn't last 40 years!)
 
I have burned a number of bridges in my life time. The scary part is when you want to retreat and there is no way back. In Rio we had a seven mile bridge. My office was on the 33rd floor for a while and I would watch the airplanes come down lower than the bridge to land. I guess you had to be there but it was really cool.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?