Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Laughter- THE best medicine!

Recently I told a friend (Paul) that it was important for us to learn to live in the present. I am often guilty of not being aware in the moment. I go back and enjoy the memory and I look forward to things, but sometimes I fail to cherish the moments as they are occurring. I think this is one advantage that grandparents have over parents. We KNOW how quickly time passes by, so we want to enjoy each moment of holding a baby or running and climbing with a (almost) 2 year old.

Last night I had a tennis match. I was exhausted from keeping my baby girls the night before (I am not discriminating, Mom just wanted a night alone with one baby and she chose the boy….mostly because he sleeps better.) I was involved in a very tough match. My partner and I just couldn’t get on our game and we ended up losing in a three set marathon match. I was feeling very depressed about the whole thing. But three of my teammates had ridden with me to the match which is around 30 minutes from our little town. On the way home we had a “laugh-fest”. We were all a little tired (or in my case completely exhausted) and things just got funnier and funnier. I could tell you some of the stories we laughed hysterically at, but you know how it is, they would not even sound funny to me today. I realized at one point that I was getting just what I needed. I needed to laugh out loud. I needed to be silly and not take tennis so seriously…it is a game.

At any rate the combination of good physical exertion and a really good laugh with friends helped me to have a great night’s sleep and a good attitude. (My sleep may have been helped along by the lack of babies in the room, but that is another story).

We were filled with laughter,
and we sang for joy.
And the other nations said,
"What amazing things the LORD has done for them."

Psalms 126:2

Comments:
You laughing me smiling, things are good.

Let me see, you sure there wasn't any libation involved?
 
My mom is always telling me that being a grandparent has made her put everything in perspective with raising kids...she continually is reminding me to stop and cherish each and every moment.
 
Hey, we all need those silly moments. They are good therapy- as is your blog! Thanks.
 
Perfect! Laughter and joy are healing for the soul. I remember a time, a few months after my divorce, sitting around a table at Starbucks with friends just rolling in laughter. It was the first time I had laughed out loud in months. It was SO healing! Seize the day! Enjoy the moment! You are right about that!
 
I've been thinking about living in the moment lately, too--and I don't have grandchildren (yet!).

Laughter is GREAT medicine--glad you had some! I try to partake as often as I can!
 
What a blessing! Laughter is a wonderful thing. One of my favorite thing to do after a long, stressful day is to watch the Golden Girls that come on right before I get off work. Even though I've seen them all, I still howl with laughter all the way through. And I leave happy and ready to finish my day with my kids! : )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?