Friday, May 26, 2006

Summer is here!

I miss that “Schools out for the summer” feeling. That last day of school was always filled with so much fun, excitement and for me a little dread. Yes, I was one of the strange kids that loved school. But I also loved sleeping late and playing outside and riding my bike.

I think in recent years I have not had an “official” start to summer and often it is over before I realize I have missed it. This year I am determined to do it differently. When you get as many irons in the fire as I currently have you have to do things “on purpose” or life will just pass you by.

This year I am going to cooperate, not with the school calendar, but with the actual calendar. Summer will officially start for me this weekend and I am going to play and enjoy summer until Labor Day. The shorts and tank tops are coming out, the swim suits and flip-flops will come out of storage. I am going to cook on the grill, ride in the boat, swim in the lake, eat tomato sandwiches and home-made ice cream and I might even catch a lightning bug!! I do love the good ole summertime!!

Comments:
I hate the heat of the summer, but love the feelings of freedom!

My summer is getting kicked off good with a Memorial Day trip to New York City with two good friends -- we leave in 8 hours!!!
 
You had me until that tomato sandwich thing! Yuck! But enjoy your Summer Kick-Off!!!
 
You are making me excited about summer! I have to purposefully think of all the things I like about it to counteract my abhorance for heat. You should try my homemade BLTs. Heaven on earth!
 
Summer isn't summer without friends to share it with. I get to spend the first weekend of June with my best friends in Omaha; Hopefully those 2 nights/days will get me through the rest of the summer.

Now to find some playmates for the kids...
 
Growing up in LA summer was eight months out of the year. We started summer after spring break and it didn't end till Halloween.
 
You know there isn't much in adulthood that equals the feeling of the last day of school or the first day of summer. One of the joys of staying home with my kids is that I feel like I get to enjoy the breaks, endings and beginnings of a school calendar again. I like that. Hope you enjoy every minute of the summer with your 4 grandbabies!
 
I definitely have that end of the school year feeling and it is great! the main thing is to get out there and enjoy those things you listed with your friends and family. Make the most of it!
 
I'll take Beaner's tomato sandwich! Yum!

I love the summer, too. Wish I had a pool to do water aerobics in . . .
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?