Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tossing and Turning?


Last night I was sitting in my recliner awaiting the showing of American Idol (which I will never watch again! Pleeeeze! Chris was THE best!) when something strange happened. I had obviously dozed off, but I woke up with the strange sensation of having something in my mouth. I looked around and realized that I had fallen asleep while eating supper!! Not just that, but I was in mid-bite!! David accused me of sleep-eating! He must take a little credit though; he had the TV on “The Lumber Yard” on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel. These shows are great background music for a little cat-nap!

Today I was thinking that I feel for Jesus’ disciples when they could not stay awake while he was in the garden praying. Sleep does not mean that you are not interested in what is going on around you it just means that your body needs to shut down to refuel. The week they had been through along with a highly emotional big meal had no doubt left them physically and emotionally drained.

Of course like all pleasurable things in life, sleep can become a stumbling block and a crutch we use to escape dealing with life. Currently this is NOT my problem! Yesterday, I thought I had gotten just enough to not feel bad. My little incident in the chair, plus one hair-raising second that I fell asleep while driving home convinced me that I might have under-estimated my “bare-minimum”.

Comments:
I don't even watch 'Idol" and I totally agree with you! My wife and kids are addicted to it. Katherine must go!

We all agreed that we will likely hear more from Chris. My wife said, "If he releases a CD, I'll buy it!"
 
Oh my....Donna please, please take the time and sleep. Those babies need their Mimi live and in person -- not a reminder of how much she loved them until she fell asleep in her car and had an accident!!!!
 
Check out This Article by Lauren Winner on the importance of sleep.

And get some rest!
 
Thanks for that insight on sleep - I honestly have had trouble understanding how the Disciples could have fallen asleep the 2nd & 3rd times (after Jesus rebuked them), but your background info. makes sense. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, right?
 
Jenny is so right! Yeah! Let Terri go for one day! Her blog about it later would be so funny! I can just see her now changing poopy diapers and birping babies! But whatever you do, get some rest!!!!
 
Oh gosh, Donna! I've BTDT--that's a bit scary to realize you've not just blinked while driving.

But [giggle], I don't think I've ever actually fallen asleep with food in my mouth. That's kinda funny. : D
 
I hear the "Idol" every week in the lounge. That is quite a show!

Get some sleep. Listen to your body. If it says sleep...then that is what you are supposed to do. God made us with an internal calibrator that knows when we need more.

HA! I can say it. I just can't make myself do it either. I run on four or five hours most nights. I have a rough time staying awake to drive too. That is scary!
 
Hey Donna,
I could not believe Chris got voted off i was so suprised!!!! I think he was to. I`ve never went to sleep with food in my mouth [but i have been to sleep with gum.] ****

kristen
 
I've had trouble getting excited about "Idol" this season -- so much so that I've confused Chris and Elliott a few times. Wasn't that surprised about Chris leaving -- with three guys and one girl left in the running, the demographics were such that the girl had the advantage.

I do still watch "Idol," but don't see a Kelly, Ruben, Clay or Carrie in the bunch. (I wasn't a big Fantasia fan).

Bobby
 
Sleep, Donna. Sleep, girl. I once was so tired from driving to see a boy that I fell asleep sitting on the couch and he was holding my head up with his hand. I'm pretty sure I've fallen asleep with food in my mouth too, but it's still a hilarious visual!

Get some sleep so that you have something to give.
 
Oh, my! I have never been that tired - even when I accidentally took two of my sleeping pills last week - instead of one sleep - one allergy! Sometimes I wish I could sleep that way! Well, not during dinner - but not have to have everything just right in order to sleep!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?