Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Memories-Like the Corner of my Mind

Sunday was a good day. Randy and Celia came to visit the church that they left a year ago. I wish Randy would have been able to speak when he came back, but such was not to be. It is strange to see people who were once such a big part of your life and to realize they are not really part of your life at all anymore. Randy and I used to have hour long discussions every couple of weeks. Celia and I were just getting to that “closer” level in our friendship. When I think about it I am sad and I miss them. The strange trick of this life is how you can get so busy you don’t think about it…

I saw a poster in the gym the other day of one of the local school’s championship football team. One name jumped out at me from the poster. It was the son of one of my long lost friends. She is the one I have talked about before who was closer than a sister and then chose to value other people and things more than she valued our friendship. Yes, I have long ago forgiven (REALLY!) but I feel a sharp pain when I have a reminder of her. I don’t know exactly what the pain is, but I think it is regret. But again life goes on and most days I don’t think about her at all.

If we dwell on the past and the friends that were once such an important part of our lives, I suppose that we would be useless as a functioning human being. God grants us peace in that he lets us forget, or push things to the back of our minds. I don’t think you ever stop loving and caring for these friends that have for one reason or the other left your life, but God’s endless grace gives us the courage to get out and make new friends. Sometimes we forget to praise him for the gift of forgetting

Comments:
what a great post. this post hits home with me. i just returned this past weekend of being back in texas for a week. my daughter wanted to go back and work for a week with her old friends and help people who can not help themselves.

each year the area youth groups in arlington, texas, gather to team up and work on people's homes. my daughter said she wanted to go, but really it was me wanting go. however, without me prompting she asked, and of course i said yes. it would've been better if my wife could've gone, but she had to hold down the fort at the church office since she doesn't have an assistant, or anybody else in the office to relieve her so she can be out of the office for any length of time.

well, we were there and i got to see all my friends, and hang out with them, but ... there always seems to be one of those doesn't there. but, the one guy that i miss most of all is the guy in charge, and he was the youth minister, and is now the senior minister, and he was really busy, but any conversation that we had was initiated by me, and he never really added anything to the conversations. i thought we were really good friends, but he gave most of his time to the photographers and praise team members than me.

i was there in the office to help him and be with him. like we always were, but all i got from him was orders to run the media shout and power point computer.

this has been a tough 2 years being away from there. i lived there in arlington for almost 10 years. that was the longest i ever lived at any one place. i guess i just need to move on, and make better friends, but one of the guys (the youth minster here at port city) has taken a job in atlanta, and will be leaving himself in the next two weeks.

can you do me a favor, and pray for me? thanks in advance.
 
I want to forget a LOT of stuff, but it keeps popping up in my head! I pray that this year I can forget MORE of the past & remember MORE of God's future promises for me!
 
pssst... Terri thinks it's "Memories Light the Corners of My Mind".
 
Ah, the broken road that brought us to where we are...and still reminds us from whence we have come (like the old English?). The past is part of us but doesn't determine our future, no matter what the movie Back to the Future might lead us to believe!

Memories sometimes hurt.
 
Terri is correct!!
 
Your girls need to check your lyrics.....The Way We Were
 
Oh, Donna--good stuff. That's a positive way of looking at things that can take us down instead of up.

(Terri--I always thought the memories were lighting the corners of my mind, too. LOL--I like the idea of anything lighting up my mind.)
 
What a great gift--the gift of forgetting! I think some people have an easier time letting go and "forgetting" hurts than others do. It is great how God does sometimes let things settle at the back of our minds, bringing them to the forefront only when necessary.
 
Actually, Donna, that lyrics freak page is WRONG - check some other ones....they sat "light".

Does anyone have the album to verify???
 
OK there were two sights that said "light" and two that said "like". I have always sang it "like" so I will continue....the rest of you, make yourselves happy!!

Terri you can even be part right, in honor of your birthday!!
 
Forgetting is something I wish I could do more.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?