Monday, July 03, 2006

My "neighborhood"


I like this picture. I know I posted it with Matthew's pictures, but I just love the colors and how very refreshing the water looks.


I noticed something this weekend as I was out and about on the lake. People are very friendly out here. If you come up on another boat, especially if it it traveling slower, you always wave. They will always wave back too. When you meet someone you wave. There are a few exceptions as many people come in just for one or two weekends per year, they just don' t know the rules..... so I was wondering, Is this an Alabama thing? Do you do this where you go to the lake? How about it Amy? We even wave when we are skiing....

Comments:
My Dad always said when you are in Alabama you have to keep your index finger of your right hand on the steering wheel of your car ready for action. As soon as you see a car heading in your direction be sure you raise that index finger. That is the "Alabama Required Wave". My kids still love to watch me do it!!
 
I have a picture of me doing the index finger wave! I thought that was a part of driving.
I always wave at the lake even when I know the people and I don't like them! After all... it IS a rule!
 
I think most boaters wave. I don't have my boat any more but I used to have a 19' Bayliner. It was fun to pull the tube around the lake. Most folks are friendly out there.
 
I'd better not try the waving yet while on skiis, that would be pushing it a little.

Otherwise, yep I'm a waver. In my car too (the index finger wave Terri referred to). Reminds me of those Mississippi country roads and old trucks.
 
We wave in TN too. As well as when driving, an index finder salute or if your hands are other wise busy it's a big head wave... we call it the redneck salutation. Is it an oxymoron to have the word redneck followed by a word w/ more than 2 syllables?
 
I think water ways are an extention of country roads. The index finger wave is required on country roads although I tend to do a two finger wave just to avoid any confusion over which finger is being raised and what that might mean. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?