Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Walking the Walk

I have noticed several benefits from walking in the morning versus going to the gym. First of all it is just great to be outside. I have experienced some amazing sun rises and have had other encounters with nature; barking dogs, crowing roosters, crazy men on bicycles, that kind of thing.


One of the most amazing things to me is seeing all of the shops and businesses that I pass by in my car everyday and never notice. On my block alone I have discovered two businesses that I did not know existed and I have found a place to go buy a Diet Mt. Dew when I am desperate. There are many houses and businesses further along on our walk that I have never noticed. To say I have not seen them would not be accurate, but to say that they have not registered in my conscience mind, that is accurate.


I am afraid that is how I live my life. I am so busy getting from one place to another that I don’t take time to stop and notice things- especially people- along the way. It is real hard for us to show Jesus to the world when we don’t even take time to acknowledge that they exist. What would it take to slow me down, to get me to really see people? I feel like I am doing better. I try to think what may be causing the person in front of me to drive so SLOWLY….. Maybe their eyesight is impaired, or maybe they are lost. I will pray for them instead of yelling at them; but what about the other 3,500 cars on the interstate? Basically if you are not in my way I don’t notice you at all.


I can make a ton of excuses- some of them may even be valid- for why I don’t have time to notice people. But I don’t think that is what Jesus would have me to do. For today I will try to look at and not through people. Today I will try to reflect the love of Jesus to someone I would normally not notice. Will you join me?


Comments:
I'm joining you right now in the Diet Mt. Dew, does that count? I have been striking up conversations with strangers today... maybe my thinking was in line with yours.
 
Life without spiritually seeing others isn't really living is it?
Thanks for making me think about this today.
 
It is hard to notice people and places around you that aren't crucial to your plans. I love it when I hear a "new" word that I don't remember hearing and then all of a sudden I hear it all the time. It can also happen if I get interested in a certain car, all of sudden I will see them everywhere. Selective attention is both a blessing and a curse.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?