Monday, July 24, 2006

You Know, I Can't Do That....

Rarely am I intimidated by people I meet. I am far from being a rocket scientist, but I scarcely run across things that I feel that I simply CANNOT do, if I put my mind to it. Sure there are a lot of things I would never choose to put the time and energy into and therefore will never do them, but most of the time I feel like I COULD if I really wanted to.

Yesterday I felt a hint of intimidation. It is easy to get lost in the words and the message of a speaker and have no thought for his preparation. But I, being the eternal dissector, usually try to figure out the method a speaker uses to prepare for his talk (unless of course he is reading it, then I mostly ignore it). I think I mentioned that our new minister has committed most of the Bible to memory, not just he knows where to find something, he can quote it word by word, verse by verse, chapter by chapter.

Yesterday in the middle of his sermon on the crucifixion he quoted Isaiah 53. Not that dry quote that sounds like you are reading in a monotone voice. He owned it. He made the passage come alive. I dare say that there were people present who did not realize when he transitioned from quoting to talking again. I was impressed and I admit somewhat intimidated. I don’t have any illusions that I could do that, even if I wanted to.

I enjoy being pleasantly surprised by people.

Comments:
The Bible comes alive when it is read aloud (of course, only if it is read WELL - my Theatre genes can't stand monotone church readings!) Sounds like you had a great experience! And I think you COULD do that if you tried!
 
I was thinking what a good actor he would be. Not that he wasn't sincere but that memorization is a skill that not many of us have to that extent. He's like VP Black except better.
 
When a preacher can put emotion into the message, it takes on new life.
Our preacher when we lived in Charlotte was Jeff Walling.
He has a degree in theatre and in bible. The blend of the two mesmerized me every Sunday and still now when we get to hear him at Zoe and Winterfest.
It's a rare preacher that can preach for a long period of time and you never realize you've been setting there for so long and never looked at your watch.
Your new preacher sounds like a real blessing.
I'd like to come hear him sometime!
 
kelley,

is jeff not in charlotte anymore?
 
I can sing music verses and make them sound real bad
 
Sure Beaner, I might could do one chapter with enough practice time....but the whole book?? I can't even imagine it....
 
I'm so glad you were pleasantly surprised. It sounds like he has a true love of scripture. Love that!
 
Well.....I guess he's got about 20 years on you in the memorizing department, but you could catch up! ;)
 
Yes, Jeff is still in Charlotte. But sadly, I'm not.
 
That sounds like a good surprise. Our generation has largely lost the art of storytelling and reading with feeling. I was thinking this morning about a DJ that I used to listen to on a Christian radio station. I loved his voice but even more, I love his spirit. I miss him.
 
My hubby and I were sitting there Sunday night flipping thru the bible to try and "catch" him on a mess up. But we never did... he quotes it word for word. I had a preacher about 50 years ago that did that too and he was one of the godliest (?word?)
men I ever met. I think our preach is going to be good for all of us.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?