Thursday, August 03, 2006

Blast from the Past...

That silly movie “Blast from the Past” was on last night. The movie tells a story of a man and his wife who had built an elaborate fall-out shelter in the early 1960’s. A plane crashed in their back yard and they were convinced it was a nuclear blast. They stayed locked underground for 35 years and had a son the first year they were there. Their 35 year old son returns to the surface to gather supplies after his Dad has a mild heart attack.

My question for you is…what change would you find most surprising if you had been locked in the 1960’s for 35 years? Part II- What "lack of change" would you find surprising?

Comments:
Technically, I'm not qualified to answer this since I was born in '74......but I think cell phones, computers, and TiVo would surprise me. Lack of change? No woman in the White House yet. (Not that I care about that...it would just surprise me after the movements in the 60's I think.)
 
i only experienced 4 of those years, but i find that having a computer on my desk, not to mention 3 computers in the house, and a laptop for my job! that is amazing, and being able to communicate the same day on the computer, and not wait for the reply from someone that might've taken a week to get a reply with the postal system.

there is no cure for cancer, except death. is the most suprising thing to me, and that science is trying to clone people is disturbing.
 
btw, i forgot to mention that "blast from the past" is one of my wife's favorite movies.
 
all the people ------the fact we are still driving fossil fuel cars.
 
Part 1-The fact that there are a group of people who gather in "cyber space" as a "blog church" and contemplate their spiritual struggles and victories would certainly surprise me. 35 years ago if someone had even said the words "cyber space" it would have freaked people out!
Part 2-The fact that my mother still buys groceries on Tuesday would not surprise me.
 
Instant gratification is what the people of today want....and what they get. I think we(those of us who feel like we are still in the sixties) learned patience because nothing was ever immediate or even quick.
 
Sorry didn't see the 60's.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?