Monday, August 14, 2006

Dwarfs and Shoes


Today if I was one of the seven dwarfs I am afraid I would be “Grumpy”. It is not by choice, I would prefer to be “Happy”, and really that is who I am on the inside, I just seem to have been taken over by “Grumpy’s” personality today. But I will work on making that better. There is no point in wasting time being a grump. I wonder why there was not a dwarf named Sarcastic….I guess it didn’t fit the “y” ending mold.

--------------------------------------------

I like to buy shoes. But I end up wearing the same couple of pairs until they are absolutely worn out. I had to quit wearing my black sandals because the tap was completely gone off of the heel. Now I could go to the shoe shop and get taps put on (and I just might) but the soles and the back of the heel is looking a little worn out too. I just noticed that the sole was beginning to wear a little thin on the beige pair that I am wearing today too. As much as I like new things there is just something about the familiar, the worn, the comfortable that is appealing.

I think that is why in the Old Testament the Israelites were encouraged to teach their children the scriptures. They were admonished to talk about all the time. That way it becomes the familiar, the comfortable. There is always something new to learn. I think that the Spirit will reveal new things to us as long as we keep our minds and our hearts open to Him. But we all have those familiar verses, maybe some familiar songs that are comfortable. Sure some times it may feel that we are “wearing them out” and maybe we need to look at something fresh and new. But it is nice to have the comfortable to fall back on.

I think I will go see if I can work this attitude of mine out….on the tennis courts!

Comments:
Sarcasty would work.
 
A little grumpy is fine...they were dwarfs afterall.

Comfortable can be good. I do the same with shirts. I can have 50 shirts in the closet but wear two or three most of the time.
 
I was Sneezy today.
 
You can't be Happy I'm Happy. Me to got the same sandals from 10 years ago.
 
I want to be the dwarf who sleeps all the time.
 
I think today I am Aloofy - as in "Bug Off!"

One thing I've noticed about people who have been reading the Bible for years and years is that their preconceived attitudes or whatever they were taught as a child tends to change as they get older. Particularly people who were brought up in a strict, literal interpretation environment. I wonder how things would go for someone who wasn't brought up that way after studying for 30, 40, 60 years.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?