Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Just a Grunt...

Monday night when I was playing tennis I discovered that I had slipped into a bad habit. Whenever my partner was pulled wide or had to jump for a ball….I grunted. Now, this is even stranger because I don’t grunt when I hit the ball, but for her I grunted. I guess I thought if I strained a little too it would help her get to the ball. Unfortunately it didn’t do much for our play because when I realized what I was doing I started laughing hysterically. But somehow the realization I was doing it didn’t stop me from doing it again. The ensuing laughter was really interfering with my game. But we still pulled off the win. (last night we fell in another tie-break…maybe I should have been grunting).

I wonder if this is a form of “lifting each other up” or “spurring each other on”. I know that when we are engaged in a team effort it is easy to want your partner to do their very best. I think sometimes it is easy for us to forget that we are on a team, or at least we are all members of the same body. The Bible tells us we are in a spiritual warfare. Maybe it would be more accurate to say we are in the same army. Anyway, we need to learn to “grunt” for each other. I need to be just as concerned about the really hard things my “teammates” have to do in real life as I am on the tennis courts.

Hebrews 10:24 (NLT) Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds.

Comments:
I'll never think of grunting the same way again! Great analogy!
 
Is that like saying "ouch" when someone else gets hurt?
 
I used to love watching Monica Seles play tennis because of her tremendous grunts every time she hit a ball. Maybe you are just tapping into your inner Monica!
 
You don't whine for me in Spin class!
 
uhh Terri, you don't need any help!
 
You two are funny!

That's like me stomping the imaginary brake on the passenger side of the van sometimes.
 
Well... I have grunted while listening to a preacher on occasion. Hmmmm. Not the same, I don't think.

EXCELLENT analogy, Donna (forgive my twist!)

US Open... NO MORE RAIN, PUH-LEASE!
 
Unnnnh! Good job!
 
I love that it says "outbursts" - makes me think of the love and good deeds welling up inside that MUST come out!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?