Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Out of the box

Someone told me the other day that I helped them to think “outside the box”. (you know who you are). For the most part this is not something I make a conscience effort to do, it is just the way my brain works. Sometimes my head will go into overdrive and deprive me of the opportunity to sleep. Last night was one of those nights. Oh, I sleep, but I keep waking up, thinking and thinking. Sometimes I wish I could just turn it off.

One of the things that has gotten into my head lately is the phrase “my church”. Webster has 4 definitions for the word church.
1. a building for public worship
2. religious service
3. all Christians (usually Church)
4. ecclesiastical as opposed to secular government.

I guess in the sense that we use the words “my church” we would be using the first definition. My problem is that the church I read about in the New Testament belonged to Christ. I was added to this Church, but in no sense is it mine. It is his; his body and his blood bought it. It is my honor and privilege to be a part of his church. However, his church is much bigger than the local body of believers that I meet and worship with. I do think we have a responsibility to function as part of the Body, the church. However, I have to think outside the “box” a little here and realize that my congregation is only a part of the church to which I belong. I think it is an important and very vital part of my ability to live in “the Body”, but I must not loose sight of the bigger picture.

Comments:
Seems to be a discussion out there in blogdom lately....thanks for more for me to chew on....THANKS
 
Hence, the reason I never "place membership". My membership was placed the day I was added to the Lord's church. Some people just don't get that.
 
I agree with susie's mom. Like the sexy avatar, by the way (totally inappropriate to this discussion, I know).
 
When you love the church the way Jesus loved it...you are willing to die for it. Love his people for they are the church.
 
preach it girl.

:)
nancy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?