Friday, August 11, 2006

Useful?

This morning I grabbed a book to read a quick devotional before I came to work. The first words that I read were “in solitude we find that our purpose is very different from our usefulness”. Of course in my typical upside down fashion I was reading the last words of the chapter first. I went back and read the chapter. It was saying that we like to define ourselves by our contribution to society or to the world at large. Basically that we like to feel that what we do has meaning.

Ouch! I know I am guilty of this. I need to find that solitude that reminds me that I don’t matter. It is the big picture of glorifying God. My contribution to society does not define my worth. My worth should only be defined by the precious blood that redeemed me.

Comments:
That is something I've (sort of) come to terms with being single and when I'm sitting in my apartment by myself. It isn't always about what we do. As much as we need to serve our fellow man, serving the Creator is always first and embracing solitude can be a good and positive and spiritually uplifting thing.
 
Girl, we're on the same page... I was just going over some thoughts from Peter Scazzero on my blog:

We have been swallowed up by the intensity of our Western culture. Our value and worth has been based on what we do and what we produce in such a way that we’ve lost the richness that comes from simply knowing God in a deep and personal way. We’re constantly doing for Jesus while we’re starving for God! Even church culture has contributed to this problem
 
Deep....
 
You are a precious child of God. Let Him love on you like you love on those little babies.
 
I'm always needing this reminder. Thanks! : )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?