Thursday, September 28, 2006

Leading via Listening

Yesterday morning when I left the house for work my car started talking to me. For once the radio was not on and it took that opportunity to “welcome me to OnStar.” It continued to let me know that I needed to press the blue button on my rear view mirror to activate all of the services that I would be receiving free for a year. Well it freaked me out a little bit to have a voice just suddenly talking to me. It also concerns me that they if they can just arbitrarily talk to me what prevents them from listening…..

But, I have often longed for God to talk to me like that; just come over the speakers and tell me what you really want me to do. Should I get involved in this or that program, should I quit work and take care of my family (I am sure he is trying to tell me that!) What? Well sometimes I think we don’t listen for the ways that God will speak to us. At least I don’t. I get called up in a little world that revolves around Donna and all the things that she wants to do and I forget to be still and listen!

Last week in the midst of a bad week I got a marvelous gift from my friend Angie. She sent me a book as one of the winners on her blog contest (I think the contest was rigged…everybody won!) The book was “Having a Mary Heart in A Martha World”. The interesting thing is the number of conversations I had and the number of devotionals I had read that dealt with the topic of Mary and Martha. The lesson I was going to teach that Wednesday night even mentioned the dynamic duo. Well, I was struggling to teach out of the book I had chosen. The chapters were filled with good thought provoking material, but it was too much for me to break down and share in a 40 minute class period. (Don’t get me started on why I can’t have a whole hour!) Anyway the book came complete with a study guide in the back and just seemed to be the answer to my dilemma. I had gone three weeks without ordering the books for the other study, but I ordered these the very next day. So we were able to start this new study last night.

I think when I listen, when I am still I can see the ways that God is guiding and leading me. When I forget to shut up telling everyone who will listen what I think, (and a few that don’t even want to listen) I can’t hear anybody else, especially the quiet leadings of the Spirit.

Our first night with the new book was a good one. Although I am not sure it was as much the material as the comedic honesty that was running rampant in the room last night. I love getting together with my sisters. I love the laughter and the tears as we share our common struggles of trying to balance our busy lives with our desire to be pleasing to our Master.

Comments:
I think that's one of the draws that nature has for me - I usually have to be quiet, so I don't scare away the birds or animals I'm watching, and it opens up my ears to listen!
 
Donna, you aren't the only one who has wished for God to come over the loudspeaker to her!

I've often wanted to read that book. One of these days...
 
I wish I lived close enough to be in that class too~ I have heard great things about that book. We are starting a new women's study next Tuesday night and I am so hungry for it. I teach on Wednesday nights but would love to have you for a teacher! We are going to have a GREAT ladies day in the spring.....wish you and Terri could come. We are planning to get Cassandra Martin if we can. Have you ever heard of her? I think she is with the Katy c of c. Not sure though. And the loudspeaker from God? I think it comes to us all the time in the form of friends, like you.
 
I'm so glad you picked that book. I've been waiting to read it, and now that we're doing it in class, well, I'll have to take the time to read it! ; )
 
I've been meaning to read that also! I did a ladies night on Mary and Martha and have to admit I'm more like Mary however I wish I had a sister like Martha....Maybe she'd keep my house clean!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?