Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Work it!

Why is it that the amount of fun you have on a weekend directly relates to the amount of stress and the number of problems you get to deal with when you get back? Sometimes it seems like it is not worth it to get away….but I did have a really good time. I just almost feel like I had a good time at everyone else’s expense…oh well. Yesterday was a true Monday at work too. My first problem (major problem) hit about 8:30. Maybe today will be better.

Terri and I went back to circuit training today. It is amazing how sore you can get when you use muscles in a slightly different way. We did three or four variations of lunges that made my hamstrings squeal like a pig (get it, hamstring?) but I bet the real soreness won’t hit until tomorrow. It wasn’t any problem to keep up, but the fact that I have been negligent in maintaining my muscles will rat me out tomorrow.

Our spiritual walk is like that. We get comfortable doing the things we have always done and it makes us a little sore and uncomfortable when we start doing something new. However, hasn’t it been said that real growth only comes when we challenge a muscle? Perhaps if we are never uncomfortable or “stretched” in our spiritual lives we are missing an opportunity for growth.

Comments:
I didn't want to ask if you were sore but since you've admitted to it... even though I didn't give it my all - my hammies and a little tender, too.
 
Good to remember - especially when I'm doing the kickboxing.
 
There is that no pain no gain philosphy. With spiritual growth there are exceptions. We may grow stronger from doing battle...or it may be through quiet sacrifice and/or mediation. Spiritual growth is more complicated than physical growth.
 
Donna's Law: The amount of fun you have on a weekend directly relates to the amount of stress and the number of problems you get to deal with when you get back.

You may have something here!
 
That Donna Law rings pretty true here, too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?