Tuesday, October 03, 2006

All by Myself?

**Rant alert**

It is obvious that loneliness is not a stranger to any of us. No matter what our lot in life whether we are married with children or if we are currently living alone we have times when we long for contact, when we need the touch of another. I think I will go out on a limb here (you all know how I hate to do that) and say that this is one of the major failings of our local churches. Yes, we provide many “extra-curricular” activities that allow people the opportunity to fellowship and get to know each other better, and yes most of us do a pretty good job at that. But if you are alone you are probably not going to participate in these activities anyway. Why have we missed the “one another” and the communion part of the ways of the early church? Yes, I know we participate in communion, but I am not sure why we call it that. We spend the time in introspection and never even make eye contact with another person, let alone actually commune with them. Now, I know some of you who read this are saying…uh, yes we do. Well, good for you. Some of us have a ways to go. In my humble opinion…out on this limb…no one should ever feel lonely at church. We should not structure our “services” in such a way that we look at the back of peoples heads and can slip in and out as easily as we do at a movie theatre.

I truly don’t think that was the way the early church met together. And while we claim that we are trying to emulate the early Christians we somehow miss this most important element of what their time together was about. It was time together. Not time alone spent in a building with 400 other people who are alone.

**End rant!**

Comments:
AMEN!!!
 
I think classes like yours break down some barriers. Now, who could do that with the guys?

I also think that everyone tends to be so busy that they don't find the time to work on this.
 
"We should not structure our 'services' in such a way that we look at the back of peoples heads and can slip in and out as easily as we do at a movie theatre."

WOW... I wish I had said that. Seriously. I have said it in my heart, but it has never found words so appropriate. Not offering any answers here... just in absolute agreement.

Thank you...
 
Tell it sister!
 
You not only ranted, you raved as well. Great thoughts. Each week at D.T. we take about 90 seconds and meet and greet the folks around us, but most of the service we are staring at faceless heads. I enjoy a full circle format so I can see others faces as we sing together. There should never be a stranger at church although I am often the one who plays the part.
 
Good rant. And if we keep constant watch on this and the relationships with people we are supposed to have, maybe some of the loneliness of people who appear completely fulfilled can be averted too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?