Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Big Five-Oh!

Few people find in life what they are looking for. Fewer still find what they are looking for when they are only 15 years old. But I did. I had gone to a movie with my older brother Keith. He was embarrassed that I was with him, but still here we were. Back then there were only a couple of hamburger joints in town. We had gone to one of them after the movie where he ran into one of the guys he played football with. I heard them talking and heard Keith say…”that’s my sister” in a disgusted kind of voice…. This fateful meeting was destined to be repeated. This guy’s sister was dating my preacher’s son…so the next thing I know he is at one of our church’s skating parties. He asked if I would ride home with them. Mom said it was OK so he drove me home that night. This was the same night that I convinced him that I had a twin sister and was a little surprised that he believed me (sarcasm is just part of who I am).

He was the quarterback of the football team, the one with the great looking legs. Everybody (at least I assumed) thought he was too good for me, but still he liked me. It is hard when you fall for the most popular guy in school. It is hard to live up to people’s expectations of you when in truth you know that you are a “nobody”. But he never made me feel that way. He has always made me feel special and I know without a doubt that he loves me. (why else would he put up with me?)

Today is David’s birthday. He is 50!! I can’t believe it. He neither looks or acts like he qualifies for the senior discount at the golf course….but believe me he will gladly take it. My husband is a good man and a wonderful father. I love his heart and his ethics. He is patient and tolerant with me. While he does not need the group activities that I thrive on, he patiently allows me to participate and often allows me to take him with me. He is always gracious. All of my friends love him. I used to tell him that my parents liked him better than they did me. I still think it may be true.

Happy Birthday David. Thank you for growing up with me. The next part of our journey together will be equally as wonderful as long as you are by my side.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments:
Happy birthday, David! Hope you have a good one. : )
 
Happy Birthday, David! May the coming year be on of great joy and growth for you and your family. I have enjoyed getting to know you a little bit this year.
 
Happy Birthday, David! If Donna hadn't said something about your legs... I would have! :)
 
What a babe! Happy birthday!

Donna, I really enjoyed meeting you and laughing with you and TCS in the tent!
 
Happy birthday,Stud. Thanks for setting the bar so high for the rest of us!!! Kidding aside, those are some kind works said about your mate. Blessings to both of you.
By the way Donna...work on your "whoopigsooie" a little. We did what you asked to the Tigers...
Its NOT whoopsie-pig!
 
Happy Birthday, David! Thanks for loaning us your wife this weekend - you're a lucky man!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?