Thursday, October 19, 2006

Hard Rain

So tonight I went out to one of my favorite eating places The Outback with one of my favorite people…Terri. We had a really good time. She is suffering with the crud and has the sweetest little Minnie Mouse voice right now. It was one of the rare times that the waiter looked at me and talked to me. I must admit it was kind of nice. However, I did miss our usual banter. It is harder to pull off when I have to keep saying “pardon?”

Anyway, when I arrived at home I saw yet another boat dock out in the middle of the lake. The strange thing was this one had lights on it. Must be solar….no extension cord is that long. As I was looking I noticed my dock was slightly askew. Well actually it was more like totally sideways. This can’t be good. I put down my stuff and walked down to the water. The walkway was still attached but had turned 60 degrees and my SeaDoo was now resting against the bank. The good news is the boat was still on the lift, and the SeaDoo and the sail boat were still securely attached to the dock. In addition our lights (which are electric) were still on. I decided to make sure that everything was there and secure so I walked out onto the dock. Our usually placid lake had currents that would rival the Ocoee River in a white water raft. Suddenly it dawned on me that if the other cable snapped me and my dogs, Hooch & Shelby (because of course they came with me) would be floating down the lake with nobody even knowing where we were (remember David is out of town.) I hurriedly returned to the house.

I came inside and found that my neighbor had called. All of the docks on our side of the water had come loose. He was offering to provide a group effort to get things “straightened up”. I called him back to let him know David was out of town and we decided the docks would be fine until daylight. There was no way we could pull them against that current in the dark anyway.

In the midst of the raging water I couldn’t help but think of the power found in the words “peace be still”.

Comments:
I am getting images from a James Bond movie or something if that dock had broken loose and you would have been headed across the lake. You would have been trying to get the boat or the Seadoo going and get out of there!

Glad you had a fun night out. It was probably good for TL to be quiet for a change.
 
I would have been content to just float lost in a little Tom Sawyer adventure...there is beer on the dock isn't there. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?