Monday, October 02, 2006

SRN

Season Related Nostalgia: is there such a syndrome? I think there should be. Do you get that restless feeling this time of year like something is supposed to happen? I am excited that this is the week of Zoe, so there is that bright spot looming on the horizon! I need the renewal that I know it will bring to my soul. And I am finally going to get to meet many of you in person. That is great too!

During the last few years since my children have grown up and become independent I often find myself at church services alone. Yesterday my girls Terri and Kay were not there either so I was totally “solo”. I think this may be the first time in the new building that I have experienced this. In the old building I usually sat in the same place around the same people so I never really had that isolated feeling. Yesterday I had moved to the center of the pew and left the outsides open for other folks. I got an overwhelming feeling of being alone. It does not happen to me often, but just for a minute there I felt a little sorry for myself. I even started writing about it in my notebook but then it dawned on me that it was in my power to rectify. It may be hard for some of you to believe but I am not naturally very extroverted. I have to make myself talk to people at times. But I began to talk to the people around me and then got up and visited with some others during “Meet and Greet”.

But it occurred to me that I am often unaware of people who are sitting alone. Maybe they don’t know anyone else at all and would welcome a friendly hello and handshake. Sometimes I think the role I play at the formal gathering of the family is very inconsequential, but this is something I can do. And maybe it will prevent someone from having that unpleasant feeling of being all alone.

Comments:
I'll miss you this year at Zoe, but I was glad to have met you last year! Your Blog helps me to not feel so alone!
 
Donna, I'm really looking forward to meeting you this weekend. Your blog(s) have been such a blessing in my spiritual walk.

I have had moments of feeling really alone at church too even when surrounded by my (squirmy) kids.

Your encouragement to make an effort to reach out to others is needed.
 
I feel that way almost everytime I go to church. I know I should just change my personality and extrovert more but that is hard to do. I hate sitting alone in church!
 
I can tell you first hand that this sort of gesture means so much. I am naturally extroverted, but I'm no stranger to that gnawing feeling of loneliness. It means THE WORLD to me when someone else takes the initiative to approach me.

Welcome to my world, girlfriend!
 
being single I am alone a lot but you know what that last thing I am is alone...
 
I think Jesus equates an engaging handshake and a warm smile with the "cup of water" he speaks of in Mark 9:41...and he goes on to say,"you will certainly not loose your reward." How is it that when we take the initiative and step outside our comfort zones, God uses the experience to make us feel even more comfortable? When I feel alone at church I try to remember that family is more than blood-kin. Good post, Donna.
 
Donna, I'm sorry! I wish I had turned around and seen that you were sitting alone. You should have come up to sit with my family--we had more than enough room! You are always welcome in my family. : )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?