Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Swift Transitions

Yesterday I got a call from a girl who I used to play softball with. Later in life we used to bowl on the same league (different teams). She was telling me that she heard that David and I wanted to bowl on a league again if the bowling alley went smoke free (ironic that they decided to go smoke free after rebuilding after a FIRE!) Strangely enough David and I had just discussed this possibility over the weekend…..how did she know? I told her that I would discuss it with him but I didn’t see how I could possibly bowl before the end of November…what with playing on THREE different tennis leagues….

Anyway this morning I got to thinking about things from our past and how they shape who we are. There are many activities that used to be such a big part of my life that just have fallen by the wayside. There are even people that I used to spend so much time and energy getting to know, that I no longer see at all. I guess it would behoove us to realize how temporary things are when we get all upset and up in arms about things. Most of the time a year from now it won’t matter anyway.

On the other hand we should really pay attention to things that are eternal. Kansas Bob posted about having eternity in your heart the other day, and what that means. I am not sure I understand it. But I know that God made us in a way that we see ourselves continuing far beyond our foreseeable future. So why do we waste time on things that are temporary? Maybe it is hard for us to discern what things are eternal. Maybe we have a hard time getting in touch with the inner longings of our spirit. What do you think?

Comments:
I think you are a wise woman and dead on with your observations!

DU
 
Taking the "long view" of things definitely gives us a different perspective on the day to day. As they say, don't sweat the small things!
 
Thank you. I needed to hear that today.

P.S. Chapter 2 is good stuff!
 
Maybe not every thing is temporary??? Will there be tennis in heaven? Maybe we will always be at love/love and there will be no faults?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?