Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Wishing and Hoping

Last night I found myself in a unique situation. David and I were playing tennis together at our local Monday night social tennis event (not the official name…I think I need to come up with one.) Anyway, Derek came up after he got off work. We were already involved in a foursome and there were three boys playing two courts down so Derek hooked up with them. David and I could hardly pay attention to the match we were involved in for watching our son. He makes friends so easily, and although he has only been playing tennis for a few months he was playing great! There is something special about watching your child (no matter how old they are) perform well, but more importantly be classy doing it. It adds yet another slice of joy for me to be able to share my love for tennis with my family.

I wonder if we think about how proud we make our Father when we “perform well”. No I don’t mean when we sing right on key or read aloud with perfect inflection. I mean times when we stop to help someone with a flat tire (like my sweet husband did last week) or when we hold the door open for someone with full arms or especially when we get ourselves totally out of the way and give of the gifts that our Father has given us.

I had no doubts that my son could fit in and perform well with the group he joined. He has practiced and worked hard by playing against me or his Dad every chance he gets. To be able to see him go out and play with others gave us a sense of pride and him a sense of accomplishment. He had faith that we had taught him the proper things and he took the next step.

What is keeping me from taking a step in faith with the training my Father has given me?

Comments:
Ya see... THIS is the stuff I love you for. I'll try to make a half way decent comment, but truthfully... I'll be ruminating over these words the rest of the day.

THANK YOU for having such a God-centered slant on the world. You open my eyes...
 
You really have a God-given talent, do you know that?

Thinking on the message God laid on your heart . . .
 
Ya done did it again! You are performing greatly for your Father. Stop self-evaluating so much and just let him be proud of you. When you hear those negative self-talk tapes playing just shut 'em off!
 
Many parents would have worried more about the ground strokes and backhand rather than the more important characteristics; building relationships. You have your priorities right and they are displayed in the actions of your son. Thanks for sharing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?