Thursday, November 02, 2006

Lots of Words for Nothing to Say

I have nothing to say. So why am I typing anyway? Who knows, maybe I think the keyboard will suddenly inspire a burst of creativity. Or maybe I am just killing a little time. We sat through a 2 ½ hour meeting this morning and now everyone but me has gone to lunch with the Rep that came to talk to us. Since I am keeping myself free to man the phones (that are not ringing) I feel compelled to write something.

Sometimes I grow discouraged with an area of my life that I used to be excited about….I am not sure if that is a natural progression of things or if it is a major character flaw of mine. I admit that several times in the last year or so I have grown very discouraged about our ladies class. Some of the pressures were external, like lack of time to meet together and the forced hiatus we have each summer. But some of the time the discouragement comes from an unconscious time table I have in my head (if it is unconscious how do I know it is there? Well I am examining myself OK!)

The beauty of being in a group that has learned to love each other is that you can disagree with one another without feeling like you will alienate that person. I told someone today that I thrive and grow when I am involved in a lively debate. I really believe that. However, I guess I get discouraged when I feel like others are not growing from debate. I get frustrated when everything is an issue of black and white. I take it personally when I think that if you disagree with me it means that you don’t like me or think I am out on a limb (which may not be altogether a wrong assumption).

Anyway last night we talked about love. We talked about loving someone like Jesus loves us. I know that to love like Jesus I must be patient and kind. I also must be willing to put aside my own agenda for the sake of others. We had a wonderful time of sharing last night. Could it have been because it hurt me so badly to talk that I did more listening than usual?

Glad I was able to work this out in my head….or on my keyboard as the case may be! Thanks for working through it with me.

Comments:
Must be a gender thing..."lots of words but nothing much to say." Isn't that just part of the female DNA? You know I jest...my old lumber boss used to have a plaque on his desk that read,"When two men in business always agree, one of them is unnecessary." They fought tooth and nail right up the ladder of success. Agree to disagree...within the confines of a loving arena, of course.
 
Love ain't easy!
 
I love how our group has so many diverse opinions and backgrounds. Because I love them, I kind of feel like I have to listen to what they have to say. This has been really good for me, because I'm not typically good at listening to people who are different from myself. So, in class, I'm getting different perspectives. Am I making any sense?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?